Faculty Credentials and Equivalent Tested Experience

The College for Creative Studies adheres to The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) guidelines on Determining Qualified Faculty Through HLC’s Criteria for Accreditation and Assumed Practices. These guidelines state that institutions will use credentials as the primary mechanism to ascertain minimal faculty qualifications. HLC recognizes that tested experience also may be considered in determining faculty qualifications.  The following guidelines apply to all faculty members whose primary responsibility is teaching, including full-time, part-time, adjunct, dual credit, and/or temporary faculty.


Faculty credentials refer to the degrees that faculty have earned that establish their credibility as content experts and thus their competence to teach that content in the classroom.  Common expectations for faculty credentials include the following:

  • Faculty teaching should have completed a program of study in the discipline or subfield (as applicable) in which they teach, and/or for which they develop curricula, with coursework at least one level above that of the courses being taught or developed. Completion of a degree in a specific field enhances an instructor’s depth of subject matter knowledge and is easily identifiable.
  • Faculty teaching in undergraduate programs should hold a degree at least one level above that program in which they are teaching. If a faculty member holds a master’s degree or higher in a discipline other than that in which he or she is teaching, that faculty member should have completed a minimum of 18 graduate credit hours in the discipline in which he or she is teaching.
  • Faculty teaching in graduate programs should hold the terminal degree determined by the discipline and have a record of research, scholarship or achievement appropriate for the graduate program.
  • Faculty guiding doctoral education should have a record of scholarship and preparation to teach at the doctoral level. Research and scholarship should be appropriate to the program and degree offered.

Faculty Credentialing Table

DepartmentLevel Being TaughtCourse LevelsRequirement
Art Practice
Communication Design
Craft & Material Studies
Entertainment Arts
Fashion Accessories Design
Interior Design
Liberal Arts
Product Design
Transportation Design
BFA Undergraduate100-400MFA with specialty relative to course content being taught or other Master’s degree with at least 18 graduate credit hours relative to course content being taught
Art EducationTeacher Certification

MA Graduate

500 – 700
MA with state teaching certification or MAAE or MFA in art, studio art, or art education

MFA or Ph.D in Art Education
Color and Materials Design
Interaction Design
Systems Design Thinking
Transportation Design
MFA Graduate500 – 700MFA or Ph.D with specialty relative to course content being taught or other Master’s degree with at least 18 graduate credit hours relative to course content being taught

Tested Experience

According to HLC, “Tested experience may substitute for an unearned credential or portions thereof.” Criterion B.2, Teaching and Learning: Quality, Resources, and Support, states that “when faculty members are employed based on equivalent experience, the institution defines a minimum threshold of experience and an evaluation process that is used in the appointment process.” Consistent with HLC policy, “experience should be tested experience in that it includes a breadth and depth of experience outside of the classroom in real-world situations relevant to the discipline in which the faculty member would be teaching.”

Equivalent Tested Experience Table

For a faculty member to be considered eligible to teach, they must have completed 18 credits toward the educational credentials listed on the Faculty Credentialing Table or provide evidence of one of the below qualifications. Faculty must receive a score of “3” in ONE of the below categories for activities within the last ten years.

Indicate the creative output expertise evidenced in the candidate’s portfolioNo ExperienceBeginner (Fewer than 3)Average
Above Average (10+)Advanced (10+ National and/or International)Not Applicable (N/A)
Exhibitions and/or Performances123456
Lecture/Presenter/Visiting Artist/Panelist/Keynote123456
Publications of Artistic Work (i.e. short story, poem, illustration etc.)123456
Curatorial experience123456
Professional Awards/Memberships123456
Indicate the candidate’s professional qualifications (evidence must be on CV or resume)No ExperienceBeginner (Fewer than 3 years)Average (3-5 years)Above Average (5-10 years)Advanced (10+ years)Not Applicable (N/A)
Professional Experience123456
Professional-level Projects or Consulting123456
Workshops, Training, or Seminars123456
Indicate the candidate’s teaching qualifications (evidence must be on CV or resume)No experience teaching at the College levelBeginner (Less than 4 semesters of experience)Average (4-5 semesters of experience)Above Average (More than 5 but less than 10 semesters of experience)Advanced (More than 10 semesters of experience)
Teaching at the College level12345
Indicate the candidate’s research experience (evidence must be offered on CV or resume)No ExperienceBeginner (1-2 conference papers, 1-2 journal publications, 0 monographs or book chapters)Average (3-4 conference papers, 3-4 journal publications, 1+ monographs or book chapters)Above Average (4-8 conference papers, 5-8 journal publications, 1+ monographs or book chapters)Advanced (9+ conference papers, 9+ journal publications, 2+ monographs or book chapters)Not Applicable (N/A)
Conference Papers123456
Journal Publications123456
Book Chapters123456

Determining Faculty Credentials or Equivalent Tested Experience

Once a faculty search process is initiated, the Department Chair develops a position description in consultation with the appropriate Dean. Throughout the search process, the CCS Faculty Credential Table should be used to evaluate candidates according to HLC’s Determining Qualified Faculty requirements. The Faculty Credential Table should also be used to assess qualifications for adjunct instructors as well as dual enrollment faculty. If a candidate does not meet the minimum required credentials as outlined in the table, the rubric for Equivalent Tested Experience should be used to determine whether or not the candidate is qualified in lieu of having the appropriate credential.

Process for Documenting Faculty Credentials or Equivalent Tested Experience

Once the Department has made an assessment on the faculty members credential or equivalent tested experience that information is submitted by the Department Chair or Program Manager to the CCS Human Resources Department.  Departments, in conjunction with Human Resources, will ensure that written documentation is maintained for each current or future faculty member hired through tested experience verifying that s/he meets the minimum expectations for tested experience established by the department. This applies to all faculty, including adjunct, part-time, and dual enrollment instructors. Additionally, all new faculty should be provided with an electronic copy of the CCS policy and procedure for reviewing and approving tested experience minimum standards.

These requirements are not a mandate from our accreditor to terminate or withhold contract renewals for current faculty members. HLC expects that the College for Creative Studies will work with faculty who are otherwise performing well to ensure that they meet HLC’s requirements.

Tuition Remission

After one year of service, full-time and part-time employees (including adjunct faculty), their spouses, and dependents are eligible for tuition remission up to the equivalent of one full-time enrollment in the College’s undergraduate and graduate programs per year. In addition, full-time employees and their spouses and dependents are eligible for tuition remission toward Precollege and Continuing Studies (PCS) classes. Dependents are defined as spouses or children up to age 25, who can legally be claimed on the employee’s annual tax filings with the IRS. Audited courses do not qualify for tuition remission. Full-time and part-time employees may not be enrolled in courses during their normal work schedule with the exception of courses that begin at 4pm provided the courses do not interfere with their primary responsibilities and scheduled work times.  These exceptions must have supervisor approval on file with the Human Resources Office prior to enrolling.

Undergraduate And Graduate Courses

Full-time and part-time degree seeking employees, spouses, and dependents will have the class tuition waived but will be responsible to pay for registration and appropriate course fees prior to beginning classes. Failure to make this payment or to sign up for a payment plan, will result in being withdrawn from all classes for the semester. To sign up for a payment plan, please click here.

Full-time and part-time non-degree seeking employees, spouses, and dependents must follow the registration policy for Guest/Non-Matriculated Students located in the College’s Policy Database.

Staff members who are pursuing a CCS degree are ineligible for Student development funds. Staff members who attend classes at CCS already receive tuition benefits. CCS reserves the student development funds for tuition paying undergraduate or graduate students.

Precollege And Continuing Studies Courses

For PCS classes, full-time employees, their spouses, and dependents are eligible for tuition remission on a space available basis for the fall and winter semesters, as well as adult classes during the summer. Summer semester youth and teen classes will be available to eligible dependents of CCS full-time employees at a discounted tuition rate. Additional materials and various fees must be paid in full, along with the discounted tuition, when registering for the classes. Please contact the PCS office or Human Resources for the current discounted tuition rate.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and CCS Scholarships and Grants

Degree Seeking Students

Degree seeking employees, spouses, and dependents receiving tuition remission must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 1st to determine eligibility for financial aid from the federal and state governments and the student must accept all federal and state scholarships and grants awarded. The FAFSA may be completed at www.fafsa.gov. The CCS Tuition Remission Voucher will cover the remaining eligible tuition after grants from the State of Michigan have been applied to the student’s tuition and mandatory fee charges. Funding from Federal Pell Grants and Federal Direct Stafford Loans may be refunded to the student after all applicable charges have been paid in full.

CCS scholarships and grants are not available if tuition costs are covered in full by tuition remission. If the student is eligible for a partial tuition remission, this amount is compared to the amount they may be eligible for in CCS scholarship and grant funds. The student will receive the higher of the two amounts.

Non-Degree Seeking and PCS Students

Non-degree seeking/non-matriculating and PCS students are not required to complete the FAFSA since their enrollment status is ineligible for Title IV aid.

Withdrawals, Dropped Courses, Or Failing Grade

Employees, their spouse, or dependents will be responsible for the tuition charges/surrender fees for a withdrawn, dropped, or failed course(s).

Employees should contact the Office of Human Resources to determine tuition remission eligibility and to obtain the Tuition Remission Voucher and instructions.

Alcohol and Other Drug Policy for Students, Faculty and Staff

(updated February 2020)

The College for Creative Studies is committed to providing a safe, healthy learning community for all its members. The College recognizes that the improper and excessive use of alcohol and other drugs may interfere with the College’s mission by negatively affecting the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff. Due to the harm caused by the excessive and illegal use of alcohol and other drugs, the College has a vested interest in establishing policies to prohibit unlawful behavior and sanctions to address policy violations by members of the CCS community.

Under the Drug-Free Workplace Act and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, the College is required to have an alcohol and other drug policy and must distribute this policy annually to all employees and students. This Policy must outline the College’s prevention, education and intervention efforts, and consequences that may be applied by both the College and external authorities for policy violations. The law also requires that individuals be notified of possible health risks associated with the use and abuse of alcohol and other drugs, and sources of assistance for problems that may arise as a result of use.


This policy applies to all faculty and staff, as well as students enrolled in credit bearing and non-credit bearing courses at CCS, including any and all programs located off site. Guests, on campus or at College events, who are violating a College policy, may be asked to leave campus/the event and their CCS host will be held responsible for their guest’s actions.

Students visiting other countries to attend academic programs are reminded that they may be subject to arrest and legal sanctions for alcohol and drug offenses under the laws and regulations of that particular country or institution in addition to the judicial process of the College.


The following terms are defined for the purposes of this policy and are important for purposes of expressing the College’s policy on a drug and alcohol-free environment:
College refers to the College for Creative Studies.

College activities include programs affiliated with the College, including study-abroad programs, and any on-campus or off-campus event or function conducted, approved, sponsored or funded, in whole or in part, by the College or any officially recognized student organization.

College premises includes all buildings and land owned, leased, or used by the College (including adjacent streets and sidewalks), and motor vehicles operated by employees, including personal motor vehicles, when used in connection with work performed for or on behalf of the College.

Controlled Substance means a controlled substance in schedules I through V of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812), as further defined by regulations at 21 CFR 1300.11 through 1300.15.

Contract means a legal instrument reflecting a relationship between the federal government and a recipient whenever the principal purpose of the instrument is the acquisition by purchase, lease, or barter, of property or services for the direct benefit or use of the federal government; or whenever an executive agency determines in a specific instance that the use of a type of procurement contract is appropriate.

Conviction means finding of guilt (including a plea of nolo contendere) or imposition of sentence, or both, by any judicial body charged with the responsibility to determine violations of the federal or state criminal drug statutes.

Criminal drug statute means a federal or non-federal criminal statute involving the manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, use, or possession of any controlled substance.

Drug For the purpose of this Policy, the term “drug” includes:

  • controlled substances, as defined in 21 USC 812, which cannot be legally obtained
  • legally obtainable controlled substances which were not legally obtained, including:
  • Prescribed drugs when prescription is no longer valid (e.g. use of medication after a course of treatment is completed);
  • Prescribed drugs used contrary to the prescription;
  • Prescribed drugs issued to another person.

Federal agency or agency means any United States executive department, military department, government corporation, government controlled corporation, or any other establishment in the executive branch, or any independent regulatory agency.

Guest means a person who is not a direct member of the College community, such as a student or employee.

Host means the person who is responsible for a guest being on campus or at a College event.

Illicit drug use means the use, manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, or possession of illegal drugs.

Over the Counter Substances means items that are available for purchase from retailers that do not need a prescription.

Prescribed Drug means any substance prescribed for use by a licensed medical practitioner.

Student means an individual registered or enrolled for a credit or non-credit course or program offered by the College.

CCS Alcohol and Drugs Policy

All members of the CCS community also are governed by laws, regulations, and ordinances established by the state and local municipalities and will be held accountable by law enforcement representatives of those entities for any illegal activity. It is the responsibility of all campus members to be aware of these laws.


Employees, students, and campus guests, regardless of age, are expected to refrain from the possession, consumption or transportation of alcoholic beverages while on any part of the campus or at College-sponsored/supported events, while driving a College vehicle or while otherwise engaged in College business. Possession of an empty container of an alcoholic beverage will be dealt with as though the individual responsible for the empty container consumed the contents.

The only exception to this Policy is that individuals of legal age may consume alcohol on College property in a manner consistent with College policy and State of Michigan law within the approved designated area of events coordinated by the President of the College.  To request an exception to this Policy for events not coordinated by the President, approval must be obtained from the employee’s Vice President or Dean with final approval given by the President of the College using the Request for Approval to Serve Alcohol at a CCS Sponsored Event form (see link at the end of this paragraph).  For all College related events involving alcohol, a licensed, third-party bartender must be present to serve the alcohol and the bartender must refrain from using a tip jar.  

Drug/Controlled Substance

Students, CCS employees, and guests are prohibited from using, possessing, transferring or selling any illegal drug, controlled substance, or related paraphernalia, including hookahs, while on any part of the campus or at College-sponsored/supported events.

Any person taking prescription drugs or over-the-counter medication is personally responsible for ensuring that while taking such drugs or medications, he or she is not a safety risk to themselves and others while on College property while driving a College or privately owned vehicle, or while otherwise engaged in College business. It is illegal to misuse prescription medication, i.e. continue to use medication when the prescription is no longer valid, use prescribed drugs contrary to the prescription, and give or sell prescribed drugs to another person. Misusing prescription drugs can result in a conviction with jail time.

CCS Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention Strategies

The College uses the following strategies to provide a positive influence on the campus culture regarding alcohol and drug abuse.

  • Students, employees, and campus guests, regardless of age, are expected to refrain from the possession, consumption or transportation of alcoholic beverages on campus. (see details and exceptions described in the above section)
  • Providing education and awareness activities
  • All student social, extracurricular, and public service options are substance-free
  • Prohibiting the marketing and promotion of alcohol and other drugs
  • Developing and enforcing campus policies and enforce laws to address high-risk and illegal alcohol and other drug use
  • Providing early intervention and referral for treatment

Health Risks

The use or abuse of alcohol and other drugs increases the risk for a number of health-related and other medical, behavioral and social problems. Below is a general description of the health risks associated with drug use.

ALCOHOL Can cause short-term effects such as loss of concentration and judgment; slowed reflexes; disorientation leading to higher risk of accidents and problem behavior; long-term effects include a risk of liver and heart damage, malnutrition, cancer and other illnesses; can be highly addictive to some persons.

AMPHETAMINES Can cause short-term effects such as rushed, careless behavior and pushing beyond your physical capacity, leading to exhaustion; tolerance increases rapidly; long-term effects include physical and psychological dependence and withdrawal can result in depression and suicide; continued high doses can cause heart problems, infections, malnutrition, and death.

CANNABIS Can cause short-term effects such as slow reflexes; increase in forgetfulness; alters the judgment of space and distance; aggravate pre-existing heart and/or mental health problems; long-term health effects include permanent damage to lungs, reproductive organs and brain function; can interfere with physical, psychological, social development of young users.

COCAINE (crack) Can cause short-term effects such as impaired judgment; increased breathing, heart rate, heart palpitations; anxiety, restlessness, hostility, paranoia, confusion; long-term effects may include damage to respiratory and immune systems; malnutrition, seizures, and loss of brain function; highly addictive.

DESIGNER DRUGS/SYNTHETIC CANNABINOIDS (bath salts, K2, spice) Can cause short-term effects such as elevated heart rate, blood pressure and chest pain; hallucinations, seizures, violent behavior and paranoia; may lead to lack of appetite, vomiting and tremor; long-term use may result in kidney/liver failure, increased risk of suicide and death.

HALLUCINOGENS (PCP, LSD, ecstasy, dextromethorphan) Can cause extreme distortions of what is seen and heard; induces sudden changes in behavior, loss of concentration and memory; increases risk of birth defects in user’s children; overdose can cause psychosis, convulsions, coma, and death. Frequent and long-term use can cause permanent loss of mental function.

INHALANTS (nitrous oxide, amyl nitrite, butyl nitrite, chlorohydrocarbons, hydrocarbons) Can cause short-term effects such as nausea, dizziness, fatigue, slurred speech, hallucinations or delusions; may lead to rapid and irregular heart rhythms, heart failure and death; long-term use may result in loss of feeling, hearing, and vision; can result in permanent damage to the brain, heart, lungs, liver and kidneys.

OPIATES/NARCOTICS (heroin, morphine, opium, codeine, oxycodone, china white) Can cause physical and psychological dependence; overdose can cause coma, convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death; long-term use leads to malnutrition, infection, and hepatitis; sharing needles is a leading cause of the spread of HIV and hepatitis; highly addictive, tolerance increases rapidly.

SEDATIVES Can cause reduced reaction time and confusion; overdose can cause coma, respiratory arrest, convulsions, and death; withdrawal can be dangerous; in combination with other controlled substances can quickly cause coma and death; long-term use can produce physical and psychological dependence; tolerance can increase rapidly.

TOBACCO (cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco) Can cause diseases of the cardiovascular system, in particular smoking being a major risk factor for a myocardial infarction (heart attack), diseases of the respiratory tract such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and emphysema, and cancer, particularly lung cancer and cancers of the larynx and mouth; nicotine is highly addictive.

For an extensive list of health-related risks please visit The National Institute on Drug Abuse: http://www.drugabuse.gov/

Counseling and Treatment Programs


All students are encouraged to seek help early if they feel they have a problem with drugs and/or alcohol and to learn how to assist others with substance abuse problems. With early assistance, it is less likely that serious consequences will result from an alcohol or drug problem.

The College offers the following alcohol and drug abuse services:

Information and Referral
All students are eligible to consult with the professional staff of the Wellness Center; personal counselors and/or health care professional, regarding the availability of drug abuse assistance programs. Drug and alcohol abuse counseling and rehabilitation program referrals are made to mutual help organizations, private hospitals, public treatment programs, and private drug treatment practitioners.

Individual Counseling
Individuals are seen on a short-term basis for assistance with drug-related problems. However, it is likely that students will be referred out for alcohol and drug dependence. This service is available to students at no charge.

Contact Information
Personal Counseling – 313-664-7852 or 313-664-7838
College Nurse – 313-664-7982


Alcohol and drug abuse rehabilitation and assistance programs are available through the College’s health benefits program and Ulliance (employee assistance program) with both in-patient and out-patient programs. Employees with alcohol or drug abuse problems are strongly encouraged to participate in these programs. Employees may contact the Office of Human Resources to seek counseling assistance and/or referral to an appropriate outside agency. All communications between employees and CCS or outside agencies are strictly confidential.

Contact Information
Human Resources – 313-664-7652
Ulliance (Employee Assistance Program) – 888-333-6269
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan – 800-637-2227
Blue Care Network – 800-662-6667

Community Resources

Narcotics Anonymous – www.na.org

Alcoholics Anonymous – www.aa.org

Al-anon – www.al-anon.alateen.org
For friends, relatives and domestic partners who are coping with a loved one’s alcohol or drug use.

Drug Free Detroit – www.drugfreedetroit.org

CCS Sanctions

The use or abuse of alcohol and other drugs also increases the risks for behavioral and social problems such as negative effects on academic work performance; conflicts with co-workers, classmates, family, friends and others; conduct problems resulting in disciplinary action, including loss of employment or dismissal from an academic program; and legal problems resulting in ticketing, fines and imprisonment.


When a student is found responsible for violating the CCS Alcohol and Other Drug Policy, their case will be evaluated and an appropriate sanction will be implemented.

The sanctions described are minimum sanctions and do not limit the disciplinary power of the College in any matter involving Code of Conduct violations.

A Warning is a written notification that a particular action is not acceptable.

Disciplinary Probation is a formal written notice that a student is in poor judicial standing with the College.

Loss of College Housing Eligibility (if applicable) is the termination of a student’s admissibility to live in College housing.

Suspension is the termination of an individual’s status as a student, with the loss of all rights and privileges, for a specific time period.

Dismissal is the permanent termination of an individual’s status as a student, with the loss of all rights and privileges.

Community Service Hours is a required number of hours to be worked in unpaid College or public service within a specific period of time.

Educational Project is a project that is focused on educating the student about a particular issue.


CCS will take appropriate action, up to and including immediate termination, with employees in violation of this policy. Employees are notified that action under this policy may include requiring successful participation in an alcohol or drug rehabilitation or assistance program as a condition of continued employment.

External Sanctions

Federal Law

Violations of laws and ordinances may result in misdemeanor or felony convictions accompanied by the imposition of legal sanctions, which include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Fines as determined under local, state, or federal laws;
  • Imprisonment, including up to life imprisonment, for possession or trafficking of drugs such as heroin, cocaine, marijuana and prescription drugs;
  • Forfeiture of personal and real property;
  • Denial of federal benefits such as grants, contracts and student loans;
  • Loss of driving privileges;
  • Required attendance at substance abuse education or treatment programs.

A full description of federal sanctions for drug felonies can be found at https://www.dea.gov/drug-policy-information. This section is not intended as legal advice; consult with an attorney regarding your specific legal issues.

Michigan Law

Alcohol: Under Michigan law, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to purchase, consume or possess, or have any bodily content of alcohol. A first-time conviction may result in a fine, substance abuse education and treatment, community service and court-ordered drug screenings. There also is a provision for possible imprisonment or probation for a second or subsequent offense. Use of false identification by minors in obtaining alcohol is punishable with a fine, loss of driver’s license, probation and community service.

Individuals can be arrested and/or convicted of operating a vehicle while intoxicated with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08 or higher. If a student is under 21, there is a “zero tolerance” law in the state of Michigan, and any blood alcohol level of .01 or higher can lead to a minor in possession (MIP) citation as well as being cited for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, if applicable. This is in addition to the suspension of driving privileges in the State of Michigan.

Medical Amnesty: To better ensure that minors at medical risk as a result of alcohol intoxication will receive prompt and appropriate medical attention, the State of Michigan provides for medical amnesty to remove perceived barriers to calling for or seeking help.

Michigan law continues to prohibit a minor from purchasing, consuming, or possessing, or attempting to purchase, consume, or possess, alcoholic liquor and from having any bodily alcohol content. The medical amnesty law provides an exemption from prosecution for the following:

  • A minor (under the age of 21) who, after consuming alcohol, voluntarily presents himself or herself to a health facility or agency for treatment or observation, including medical examination and treatment for any condition as a result of sexual assault (as defined in Michigan law).
  • Any minor (under the age of 21) who accompanied a minor (under the age of 21) who, after consuming alcohol, voluntarily presented himself or herself to a health facility or agency for treatment or observation, including medical examination and treatment for any condition as a result of sexual assault (as defined in Michigan law).
  • Any minor (under the age of 21) who initiated contact with law enforcement or emergency medical services personnel for the purpose of obtaining medical assistance in connection with a legitimate health care concern.

Michigan Laws Governing Marijuana: Michigan marijuana laws conflict with federal criminal laws governing controlled substances, as well as federal laws requiring institutions receiving federal funds, by grant or contract, to maintain drug-free campuses and workplaces. CCS receives federal funding that would be in jeopardy if those federal laws did not take precedence over state law. Thus the use, possession or cultivation of marijuana in any form and for any purpose continues to violate the CCS Alcohol and Drug Policy and is prohibited.

State of Michigan Legal Sanctions for Illegal Use, Possession and/or Delivery of Controlled Substances

(Act No. 368 of the Public Acts of 1978)

State of Michigan Sanctions for Violation of Drug Laws Narcotic Drug and Cocaine:

Delivery and Possession – Felony, Mandatory 10 years to life.

Use less than 50 grams – Misdemeanor, up to 1 year and/or $2,000 fine.


Delivery – Felony, up to 7 years and/or $5,000 fine.

Possession – Misdemeanor, up to 1 year and/or $1,000 fine.

Use – Misdemeanor, up to 6 months and/or $100 fine.


Delivery – Felony, up to 4 years and/or $2,000 fine.

Possession – Misdemeanor, up to 1 year and/or $1,000 fine.

Use – Misdemeanor, up to 90 days and/or $100 fine.

Other Controlled Substances:

Delivery – Felony, up to 7 years and/or $1,000 – $5,000 fine.

Possession – Misdemeanor or felony, up to 2 years and/or $1,000 – $2,000 fine.

Use – Misdemeanor, up to 1 year and/or $100 – $1,000 fine.

State of Michigan Sanctions for Violation of Alcohol Laws Sale to Minors:

Misdemeanor, 90 days and/or $100 fine.

Minor Possessing or Transporting in Motor Vehicle:

Misdemeanor, 90 days and/or $100 fine.

Furnishing Fraudulent ID to Minor/Use of Fraudulent ID by Minor:

Misdemeanor, 90 days and/or $100 fine.

Consumption on/in Public Highways, Parks or Places of Amusement:

Misdemeanor, 90 days and/or $100 fine.

Open Alcohol in Vehicles on Highways:

Misdemeanor, 90 days and/or $100 fine.

Purchase, Possession or Consumption by Minor:

(Civil Citation) : First violation not more than $25.00; Second violation not more than $50.00 (or participate in a substance abuse program) ; Third and subsequent violation not more than $100.00 (or participate in a substance abuse program) .

Selling Without a License:

Misdemeanor, 1 year and/or $1,000 fine.

Selling or Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor:

Misdemeanor, 90 days and/or $100 fine.

State of Michigan Sanctions for Drinking/Driving Offenses Operating a Motor Vehicle with Ability Impaired: (depends on number of offenses)

Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor:

Operating a motor vehicle with unlawful blood alcohol level of 0.10 grams or more per 100 milliliters of blood: Up to $1,000 fine, up to 1 year in jail, 10 to 90 days community service, license suspended for 90 days to 2 years or 5 years of a revoked license. If death caused, the offense becomes a felony.

Employee Reporting Requirement

Under the Drug-Free Workplace Act, in addition to the other requirements of this Policy, the College requires all employees who work in any capacity under a federal grant or contract to notify his or her supervisor or department head in writing of his or her conviction for a violation of any criminal drug statute occurring in the workplace or on work-related activities no later than five (5) calendar days after such conviction. The supervisor or department head will notify the Office of Human Resources.

Distribution of Policy

A copy of this Policy statement will be distributed to all faculty, staff and students annually via email at the beginning of fall semester.

Review of the College’s Prevention Program and Policy

Annually, the College shall review its Alcohol and Other Drug Policy and prevention strategies to determine effectiveness and to ensure that the College’s disciplinary sanctions are consistently enforced. This annual review will be conducted in May and the minutes from the review are available to students and employees upon request.

For More Information

For more information concerning this Policy, employees should contact the Office of Human Resources at 313-664-7652 and students should contact the Office of Student Affairs at 313-664-7879.

Tuition Reimbursement


The objective of the CCS Tuition Reimbursement program is to invest in CCS employees in a way that benefits both the individual and the institution, and supplement CCS employees in pursuit of academic degrees.


The criteria for tuition reimbursement consideration are listed below. Applications will be reviewed twice a year by a committee consisting of VPs of Finance and Administration, Enrollment and Student Services and Institutional Advancement, the Director of Human Resources and the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs.


  • Must be a full-time employee for at least two years at the time of application
  • Classes must be relevant to current position
  • Courses of study must be in pursuit of an academic degree, and applications must include an academic plan of work (courses that employee plans to take to get to the degree)
  • Employee must complete a Tuition Reimbursement Form by July 1 for fall, November 1 for winter and April 1 for summer
  • Supervisor must approve prior to submitting the form
  • Reimbursement will be reconsidered annually; there is no guarantee of on-going reimbursement given the number of employees participating and limited funds
  • Classes must be after work hours except with prior approval
  • Class must be successfully completed the first time with a B or above prior to reimbursement
  • Each approved employee is eligible for reimbursement for up to $3,000 per year for charges they have already paid
  • Employees pursuing a Bachelor’s degree must file the FASFA and accept all Federal, State, and Institutional scholarships and grants awarded by the institution A billing statement must be submitted to HR for compliance review and approval of reimbursement
  • If obtaining/completing a degree was a condition of employment, you are not eligible for this program
  • Employee must remain with CCS for at least two years after tuition is reimbursed or may be eligible for repayment of investment.

Personnel Records – Staff / Faculty


A master personnel record containing administrative staff records and other pertinent data is maintained in the Human Resources office. The Human Resources office maintains records concerning employment, performance, payroll, benefits, and other miscellaneous items. No information, except verification of employment dates, will be released to outside sources without the employee’s written authorization, unless disclosure is required by subpoena or court order or is necessary to meet some legal obligation of CCS. A written authorization from the employee is required for the Human Resources office to release salary information.

It is each administrative staff member’s responsibility to inform the Human Resources office of any changes in the following: name, address, telephone, marital status, dependents, beneficiaries, and emergency contacts.

Administrative staff have the right to review their Personnel Record in the Human Resources office, with a prior appointment. These Personnel Records are confidential and may only be reviewed by the administrative member, or the appropriate supervisory personnel of the administrative staff member.


A master personnel record containing faculty records and other pertinent data is maintained in the Human Resources office. The Human Resources office maintains records concerning employment, performance, payroll, benefits, and other miscellaneous items. The Academic Affairs Office also maintains records on each faculty member which include: Full-Time Faculty Annual Reports, Department Chair Annual Reviews of Full-Time Faculty, faculty member’s resume, and correspondence. No information, except verification of employment dates, will be released to outside sources without the employee’s written authorization, unless disclosure is required by subpoena or court order or is necessary to meet some legal obligation of CCS. A written authorization from the employee is required for the Human Resources office to release salary information.

It is each faculty member’s responsibility to inform the Human Resources office of any changes in the following: name, address, telephone, marital status, dependents, beneficiaries, and emergency contacts.

Faculty members have the right to review their Personnel Record in the Human Resources office or their file in the Academic Affairs Office, with a prior appointment. These Personnel Records are confidential and may only be reviewed by the faculty member, or the appropriate supervisory personnel of the faculty member.

Children in the Workplace

All College employees, including faculty, staff, and students, may occasionally experience the need to bring children to campus. The following guidelines are established to clarify the College’s practice regarding such situations.

Employees and students who are responsible for the care of minor children are expected to arrange childcare away from the workplace and campus. The College does not condone bringing children into the workplace and on campus, except as provided below. The College accepts no responsibility for the actions of children on campus; the parents or custodians assume all such responsibility. Bringing children into the workplace or classroom creates a distraction, for the parent or custodian, for other employees and for students, impeding the performance of College duties and could also endanger the child. The immediate supervisor or instructor will counsel or notify employees or students who bring children to campus without proper authorization in advance.

Exceptions for Employees

Employees may bring children to campus under the following conditions:

An employee is coming to campus for a short visit, or errand, of less than two (2) hours:

  • delivering College-related work (forms, reports, grades, pay a bill, etc.)
  • bringing a new baby to introduce to co-workers
  • other casual, informal College business with co-workers
  • College for Creative Studies sponsored special events

Other conditions to bring children to campus will need approval from the immediate supervisor and Director of Human Resources.

Exceptions for Students

  • delivering College-related work (forms, registration, reports, grades, pay a bill, etc.)
  • bringing a new baby, outside of class time, to introduce to classmates, instructors
  • College for Creative Studies sponsored special events

Other conditions to bring children to campus will need approval from the Dean of Students.

Travel and Entertainment

The travel and entertainment policy is intended to establish and communicate equitable standards and effective procedures for administering and controlling travel and entertainment expenses, and ensure consistent and fair treatment of all employees who travel on CCS business.

CCS recognizes that the effective conduct of the College’s activities will require employees to travel from time to time on behalf of CCS. It is therefore the policy of the College to reimburse employees for all expenses that are necessary, and incurred, when traveling on authorized College business.

Reason for Policy

This policy is to establish and communicate equitable standards and effective procedures for administering and controlling travel and entertainment expenses, and ensure consistent and fair treatment of all employees who travel on CCS business. This policy’s purpose is:

  • To provide guidance to employees, and those with authority to approve expense reports, on travel and entertainment expenditures incurred on behalf of CCS
  • To ensure compliance with legal and internal control requirements
  • To identify reimbursable and non-reimbursable expenses
  • To clarify employee responsibility for controlling and reporting travel and entertainment expenses.


CCS’s Travel and Entertainment expense guidelines are based on generally accepted business practices and IRS regulations which describe those expenses that a business or an individual may legally deduct from gross income when paying Federal taxes. In addition, certain procedures and practices have been included to maintain good internal accounting controls.


For each trip an employee takes, an expense report must be completed, approved and submitted to Business Services within ten business days of completion of the trip. Expense reports must contain a detailed description of all business expenses and appropriate receipts, to include airline boarding passes and/or a copy of the travel itinerary. Receipts are normally provided for airfare, hotel, and car rental. If not provided, you should request a receipt for meals, taxi, parking and miscellaneous items. Acceptable receipts must be original and itemized.


CCS wishes that its employees who are required to travel, do so in reasonable comfort. Employees are expected to exercise good judgment in distinguishing between reasonable comfort and extravagance. Employees are expected to:

  • exercise discretion and good judgment with respect to expenses
  • check for accuracy of bills prior to payment
  • report all expenses and advancements promptly and accurately with required documentation
  • if plans change and the employee does not make a trip, return all advanced funds to Business Services immediately
  • reference the list of recommended local restaurants and hotels on Blackboard for local meetings
  • plan travel in advance to insure lowest cost
  • research arriving one day before and/or staying one day later on trips if that may be less expensive and time effective (considering work schedules, air fare, hotel, and meals)
  • provide documentation for all advance cost quotes for air fare, hotel, car rental, and taxi/limo service vs mileage/parking.

Travel Guidelines

(effective May 1, 2009, all travel must be pre-approved by an officer of the College)


All employees will travel the most economical fare available at all times. Reservations should provide the most economical airfare within a two hour window of requested departure and arrival times (one hour before or after requested departure and one hour before or after requested arrival). Airfare change or upgrade fees are allowable only if necessary due to College business, and approved in writing by reporting officer. Reporting officers have some discretion to approve seat only upgrades on flights over four (4) hours. Trip Protector insurance is not an allowable expense except for international travel and only with reporting officer approval. Employees are allowed one (1) piece of checked luggage on domestic flights.


Employees must obtain prior approval from their supervisor before using personal vehicles for business trips when doing so would be more economical and time effective than traveling by air. Personal vehicle mileage will be reimbursed per the current IRS limits, which are subject to change annually, and may not exceed the cost of the most economical air fare. For evaluation purposes, employees must confirm airfare rates at the time they register or plan their trip. Personal vehicle mileage allowance covers the cost of gasoline, oil, and wear and tear of the automobile. Employees using personal vehicles must have a current Motor Vehicle Record file in Human Resources. If two or more employees are attending the same event, it is recommended that they make every effort to carpool.

Cash Advance

A cash advance may be approved for legitimate business purposes and in cases of emergency. A cash advance must be requested and approved no later than five working days in advance of any planned travel. A cash advance may not be requested prior to ten business days before the start of any planned travel. A cash advance may be used only by the person requesting it and approved for the cash advance. Cash advance balances must be cleared with a personal check or cash submitted with the expense report within ten business days of completion of the trip. Petty cash advances must be cleared with Business Services within five business days.

Car Rental

With many promotional programs constantly changing, the least expensive car should be reserved unless there is a business necessity to upgrade. Travelers should decline Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Personal Accident Insurance. This coverage is provided through our College policy. Rental cars need to be re-fueled prior to drop off to avoid the refueling and service charges.

Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer bonus programs and usage credits awarded by airlines, car rental agencies or hotels shall be assigned to the employee. CCS considers this a perquisite well earned by the employee. However, the employee must still travel at the lowest possible rate.


Spouse or family members may accompany employees on trips, with approval from your immediate supervisor. When a spouse, companion or family travel with an employee, their travel must be accounted for, and paid for separately. The College will pay for a standard room, no upgrades. Any additional charges for spouse, companion, or family sharing a room is the employee’s responsibility. Employees must separate all expenses associated with spouse, companion, or family members, with no incremental expenses to the College.


Reservations will be made at moderately priced establishments that will be comfortable, but not extravagant. Travelers should insure that the rate charged matches the rate on the itinerary. “No-show” bills are incurred when “guaranteed” hotel reservations are not used and have not been canceled. It is the responsibility of the traveler to cancel hotel rooms which become unnecessary due to changes in travel plans. The cancellation can be made through the travel agency or with the hotel directly. In either case, the traveler should obtain a cancellation number. Room change or upgrade fees are allowable only if necessary due to College business and approved in writing by a reporting officer. Personal upgrades and changes are not reimbursable.

Local Transportation

Employees are expected to use their own transportation when traveling to/from home and/or CCS campus to Metro Airport or other local sites. CCS or the employee’s home, whichever is less mileage, is considered the home base for local trips. Mileage will be reimbursed from the home base to the local site. Limousine services (e.g. Checker, Metro Cars) are not to be used when traveling to/from CCS or the employee’s home and Metro Airport unless the cost is less than the cost for mileage and airport parking. Employees are expected to use the most economical ground transportation when traveling to and from airports and hotels while out of town. Taxi, rental car, bus, and van are all acceptable. Travelers should always ask if the hotel at which they are staying provides a shuttle service to and from the airport.


While traveling, employees should eat at moderately priced restaurants. The actual cost of meals, including tips, incurred while traveling on CCS business is reimbursable. Up to twenty (20%) percent of the meal cost is the maximum tip in the U. S. The tip or “service” is often included in the meal cost at certain restaurants. Alcoholic beverages are limited to one (1) per person with any meal. Employees are expected to exercise discretion and good judgement with respect to meals, alcoholic beverages and tipping.


Discounted parking rates are available at lots around Detroit Metropolitan Airport. These lots provide parking for about one half the cost of parking at airport lots. All of these lots provide 24/7 shuttle service to all terminals. Online coupons for one day free parking are available at their websites. Discounted parking is available at these lots:

Employees should not park in Detroit Metropolitan Airport lots and valet parking is not allowed as it is approximately twice the cost of long-term lots.


Telephone and Internet access from hotel rooms should be used only as necessary and with discretion. Personal phone calls should be limited to one call per day, except for emergencies or special circumstances. Cell phones and pre-paid calling cards are low-cost options.

International Travel

Employees on international travel should always use their credit card and not cash for expenses. Credit card use insures charges are processed at the current exchange rate on the day the charges were incurred. This eliminates the need to research the exchange rate when the expense report is processed.


Entertainment is defined in this policy as limited to entertainment when traveling on College business. Employees will be reimbursed for the actual cost of entertainment, when such expenses have been determined reasonable and beneficial to the College. Entertainment must conform to current tax and legal requirements. Discretion must be used as to levels of entertainment. Unreasonable entertainment expenses will not be reimbursed. When an employee pays the expense of any other person who is not an employee of the College, the expenses of all persons in attendance, including CCS employees, are to be listed on the expense report and itemized receipt. Spouses or partners expenses are not eligible for reimbursement, unless approved in advance by a reporting officer.

Expenses not Authorized

The following is given as a guide, and not necessarily a complete list, of expenses that are not reimbursable:

  • alcoholic beverages not part of a meal, with discretion allowed for College officers to approve appropriate entertainment
  • alcoholic beverages in excess of one (1) per person at any meal
  • alcoholic beverages at department meeting or events
  • tobacco products
  • minibar expenses
  • snack food
  • personal care (spas, medication – laundry is allowed up to a maximum of $50 for domestic trips longer than 7 days and for international travel)
    personal entertainment (movies in hotels or on flights)
  • personal items (books, dvds, newspapers, magazines, maps, personal care items, souvenirs, etc.)
  • parking or traffic tickets
  • rental car GPS charges, unless approved in advance by a reporting officer.
  • airline or travel insurance; Trip Protector insurance except for
  • international travel with officer pre-approval
  • valet parking at airports
  • ATM fees
  • gifts to employees or departments


In unusual business circumstances, actual expenses that are incurred, and that are not covered by this policy, are subject to approval and/or adjustment by the Vice President of Administration and Finance or the President.

Federal Income Tax Regulations and Compliance

Employee’s will appreciate that, if the Travel and Entertainment Policy is to work to everyone’s best interest, each employee must be responsible for supporting and complying with it in both spirit and letter. To meet IRS requirements, travel and entertainment expenses must adhere to the following conditions:

  • the expenditure must be shown to be ordinary and necessary in the course of business
  • original, itemized receipts, no photocopies, must be submitted
    • credit card statements or non-itemized receipts are not acceptable
    • credit card receipts with only a total amount are not reimbursable
    • ATM receipts for cash are not acceptable
  • the expenditure must actually be incurred, and supported with exact and detailed records, verifying the names, amount, date and location, business purpose and business relationship of the person entertained (name, company, title)
  • name, title and company affiliation of those present
  • employees must account for all travel expenditures by submitting a complete and accurate Expense Report within 10 business days after the completion of a trip or business event
  • incomplete reports and those lacking receipts, approvals, or other required documentation, will be returned, delaying reimbursement
  • no reimbursement will be made for expenses incurred in violation of the Travel and Entertainment Policy
  • Expense Reports will be monitored and audited on a regular basis to ensure adherence to the provisions of the Travel and Entertainment Policy
    non-compliance may result in disciplinary action


The Internal Revenue Code specifically states that an individual may not approve his/her own expense report. Immediate supervisors must approve cash advances, expense reports, and travel related expenses charged to the College Corporate American Express and Master Card of employees reporting to them. Additionally, Deans and Vice Presidents must approve cash advances, expense reports, and Corporate American Express and Master Card charges for faculty and staff in their division. It is the responsibility of the approving individual to determine if the advance and expense was:

  • ordinary and necessary for the benefit of the College and within budget;
    properly substantiated to meet CCS policy.
  • The Expense Report will be further reviewed and approved by Business Services, for conformance to both College policy and IRS regulations. All Expense Reports over $1,000 will require approval by the Administration and Finance division. Individual expenses not approved will be returned and be the responsibility of the employee. The employee will be required to complete and resubmit a new Travel and Expense Report.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)


The College affords eligible employees family or medical leave in accordance with the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).  All rights and obligations under the FMLA and this policy are interpreted according to the law.  All leave of absence, including workers’ compensation, temporary disability and FMLA leaves, will be coordinated and will run concurrently as allowed by law.

The Leave Policy

You may be eligible for a job-protected, unpaid leave of absence for up to twelve (12) weeks each leave year if you:

  1. have been employed by CCS for at least 12 months (the months need not be consecutive);
  2. worked at least 1,250 hours of service in the 12 months immediately preceding the leave; and
  3. are taking the leave for a qualifying reason.

A leave year is defined as the rolling 12-month period measured backward from the date you first took FMLA leave.  During FMLA leave, you will be entitled to group health benefits as if you were still working.  Upon completion of FMLA leave, you will be restored to your same or equivalent job with the same pay, benefits and conditions of employment.  After 12 weeks, the FMLA provisions regarding job restoration do not apply.  If your leave exceeds 12 weeks, your right to job restoration and/or benefits, if any, will be determined by CCS’s existing policies and any applicable laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Act.  Please note that CCS’s short-term and long-term disability plans are income protection plans for eligible employees and do not guarantee a job, or any particular job, following an absence.

Reasons for Leave

FMLA leave may be taken for any of the following reasons:

  1. the birth of a son or daughter and in order to care for such child;
  2. the placement of a child with you for adoption or foster care;
  3. to care for your spouse, child or parent (“covered relation”) with a serious health condition; or
  4. because your own serious health condition renders you unable to perform the essential functions of your position.
  5. because of a “qualifying exigency” arising out of active duty or a call to covered active duty of a covered relation in the Armed Forces or:
  6. to care for a covered relation or next of kin who is a covered service member and has incurred a serious injury or illness in the line of duty while on active duty in the Armed Forces, including the National Guard or Reserves.

FMLA leave may not exceed 12 weeks per leave year, except where the leave is to care for an injured or ill service member, in which case an eligible employee may take up to 26 workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for the service member.  Leave to care for an injured or ill service member, when combined with other FMLA-qualifying leave, may not exceed 26 weeks on a single 12-month period.  A leave to care for a newborn son or daughter or due to the placement with you of a foster or adopted son or daughter must conclude within 12 months of the birth or placement.  Spouses who both work for CCS will be entitled to a combined 12 weeks of FMLA in a given leave year when leave is take for the birth of a child, placement of a child for adoption or foster care, or care of a parent with a serious health condition.  Similarly, spouses who both work for the College may take only a combined 26 workweeks of leave to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness.

A child includes a biological, adopted, foster or stepchild (or legal ward) who is under 18 years old.  Children over 18 who are incapable of self-care because of physical or mental disability are also included.  (However, where leave is due to a qualifying exigency arising out of active duty or a call to active duty or to care for an injured or ill service member, there is no age limit on the child).  A “parent” includes your biological parent or person who stood in the position of parent to you when you were a child.  A parent does not include your spouse’s parent.

“Spouse” as defined in the FMLA, means a husband or wife as defined or recognized in the state where the individual was married and includes individuals in a same-sex marriage or common law marriage.  Spouse also includes a husband or wife in a marriage that was validly entered into outside of the United States if the marriage could have been entered into in at least one state.

A “serious health condition” is an illness, injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition that involves either an overnight stay in a medical care facility, or continuing treatment by a health care provider for a condition that either prevents the employee from performing the functions of the employee’s job, or prevents the qualified family member from participating in school or other daily activities.  Subject to certain conditions, the continuing treatment requirement may be met by a period of incapacity of more than three consecutive calendar days combined with at least two visits to a health care provider or one visit and a regimen of continuing treatment, or incapacity due to pregnancy, or incapacity due to a chronic condition.  Other conditions may meet the definition of continuing treatment.

A “qualifying exigency” means short-notice deployment (notice of seven days or less), military events, child care and school activities, financial and legal arrangements, counseling, rest and recuperation, post-deployment activities, and additional activities where CCS and the employee agree.

“Covered active duty” means, in the case of a member of a regular component of the Armed Forces, duty during the deployment of the member with the Armed Forces to a foreign country, and, in the case of a member of a reserve component of the Armed Forces, duty during the deployment of the member with the Armed Forces to a foreign country under a call or order to active duty.

A “covered service member” is (1)  a member of the Armed Forces, including the National guard or Reserves, who is undergoing medical treatment, recuperation, or therapy, is otherwise in outpatient status, or is otherwise in the temporary disability retired list, for a serious injury or illness or (2) a veteran who is undergoing medical treatment, recuperation, or therapy, for a serious injury or illness and who was a member of the Armed Forces, including the National Guard or Reserves, at any time during the period of five years preceding the date on which the veteran undergoes that medical treatment, recuperation, or therapy.

A “serious injury or illness” is one that was incurred in the line of duty on active duty (or existed before the beginning of active duty and was aggravated by service in the line of duty on active duty) and that may render the service member medically unfit to perform duties of the member’s office, grade, rank, or rating.  With respect to a veteran who was a member of the Armed Forces at any time during the period of five years preceding the date on which the veteran undergoes medical treatment, recuperation or therapy, a serious injury or illness means that qualifying injury or illness that was incurred in the line of duty on active duty or existed before the beginning of active duty and was aggravated by service in the line of duty and that manifested itself before or after the member became a veteran.

Use of Paid Leave

In general, FMLA leave is unpaid.  However, CCS generally requires that you substitute any paid leave (assuming you are eligible for paid leave) for unpaid leave.  Your entitlement to up to 12 weeks of FMLA leave will run concurrently with any workers’ compensation or temporary disability absence as long as the criteria for a serious health condition is met.  You may use any available unused paid time off (PTO) to supplement your worker’s compensation or temporary disability pay, up to 100% of your regular pay.

Notice of Leave

If it is foreseeable that you will need FMLA leave, you must give CCS at least 30 days’ advance written notice.  If your need for FMLA leave, or the timing of the leave, is unforeseeable, you must give CCS notice as soon as practicable, generally within two business days after the need for leave becomes known to you.  You are also expected to comply with CCS’s normal call-in or reporting practices and procedures.  Failure to give the required notice may result in the delay of your leave.  If the leave is due to planned medical treatment, you must make a reasonable effort to schedule the treatment to minimize disruption to CCS.  Requests for leave must be submitted to Human Resources and forms are available in that office.

Medical and Family Certificates

If you request leave because of your own or a covered relation’s serious health condition, you and the relevant health care provider must supply an appropriate medical certification to CCS.  You may obtain Medical Certification forms from Human Resources.  Generally, for foreseeable leave, any required medical certification must be provided to Human Resources before your leave begins, unless it is impractical to do so, in which case a medical certification must be provided as soon as possible. Also, if the leave is for the birth, placement of a child for adoption or foster care, or care of a covered relation, CCS may require you to provide reasonable documentation or a statement confirming the family relationship.  In addition, if you are requesting leave for a qualifying exigency related to military service, you may be required to provide an appropriate certification.  Failure to timely provide the requested medical certification or other documentation may result in a delay or denial of your leave.

CCS may, at its discretion and expense, require an examination by a second health care provider designated by CCS.  If the second health care provider’s opinion conflicts with the original medical certification, CCS may require a third, mutually acceptable health care provider to conduct an examination and provide a binding opinion.  (Second and third opinions will not be requested for a covered service member’s serious injury or illness, however.)

Notice:  The Genetic Information nondiscrimination act of 2008 (GINA) prohibits employers and other entities covered by GINA Title II from requesting or requiring genetic information of an individual or family member of the individual, except as specifically allowed by this law.  To comply with this law, we are asking that you not provide any genetic information when responding to requests for medical information.  “Genetic information” as defined by GINA, includes an individual’s family medical history, the results of an individual’s or family member’s genetic tests, the fact that an individual or an individual’s family member sought or received genetic services, and genetic information of a fetus carried by an individual or an individual’s family member or an embryo lawfully held by an individual or family member receiving assistive reproductive services.

Reporting During Leave and Upon Return From Leave

If you take an FMLA leave due to your own or a covered relation’s serious health condition, CCS will require you to provide medical re-certifications, at reasonable intervals during your leave, generally not more than every 30 days. While on an FMLA leave, you must periodically report on your status and intent to return to work.  If the circumstances precipitating the need for an FMLA leave change while you are on leave, you must promptly notify the Human Resources office in writing of those changes, generally within two (2) business days.

CCS will require you to provide a certificate of fitness to return to work, which may address your ability to perform the essential functions of your job, at your expense, when your leave was due to your own serious health condition. A fitness to return to work certificate will not be required if the leave was taken on an intermittent or reduced schedule basis. Failure to timely provide the above status reports, re-certifications or fitness to return to work certificates may result in the delay or denial of leave, or restoration to your position.

Medical and Other Benefits During Leave

During an approved FMLA leave, CCS will maintain your group health benefits as if you continue to work. All other benefits will be maintained in accord with CCS established policies.  Paid time off (PTO) days do not accrue during leaves of absence, including FMLA and temporary disability absences (except during the time period that the leave is being covered by PTO).

If you normally pay a portion of your group health or other elective benefit premium, and if you are on a paid leave, CCS will deduct your portion of the health plan premium as a regular payroll deduction.  If your leave is unpaid, you must pay your portion of the premium to the Human Resources office by the 20th day of the month prior to the month the premium will cover.  Failure to timely pay your portion of the premium may result in termination of coverage, provided you are notified in advance that coverage will lapse.  If CCS pays your portion of any elective benefit premium or group health premium during your leave, CCS will seek reimbursement from you when you return to work.

If you do not return to work at the end of the leave period, you will be required to reimburse CCS for its share of the premiums paid for maintaining your group health benefits during any unpaid leave, unless you cannot return to work due to a serious health condition or other circumstances beyond your control.

Intermittent and Reduced Schedule Leave

Leave may be taken intermittently (in separate blocks of time due to a single health condition) or on a reduced leave schedule (reducing the usual number of hours you work) when medically necessary.  Employees must make reasonable efforts to schedule leave for planned medical treatment so as not to unduly disrupt CCS’s operations.  Leave for qualifying exigencies may also be taken on an intermittent basis.

If your leave is unpaid, CCS will reduce your salary as permitted by law based upon the amount of time actually worked.  In some situations, while you are on an intermittent or reduced schedule leave, CCS may temporarily transfer you to an available alternative position (with equivalent pay and benefits) that better accommodates your leave request.  Intermittent or reduced schedule leave to care for a newborn child or child placed with you for adoption or foster care requires prior consent of CCS (unless the leave is due to a serious health condition).

Special FMLA Rules Applicable to Instructional Employees

The FMLA contains special rules for instructional employees who seek intermittent leave or a leave near the end of an academic term.  “Instructional employees” include, for example, faculty members. Generally, teacher assistants and counselors are not considered instructional employees.  The purpose of the special rules is to avoid undue disruption to students.  If the special rules apply to you, CCS may require you to remain on leave until the end of the semester.  If you have requested intermittent or reduced schedule leave, CCS may require that you take leave in a block of time or it may temporarily transfer you to another position.  If you have any questions regarding these special FMLA rules and whether they apply to you, contact Human Resources.

Additional Information

The FMLA makes it unlawful for any employer to interfere with, restrain, or deny the existence of any right provided under the FMLA or discharge or discriminate against any person for opposing any practice made unlawful by FMLA or for involvement in any proceeding under or relating to FMLA.  An employee may file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor or may bring a private lawsuit against an employer.  FMLA does not affect any Federal or State law prohibiting discrimination, or supersede and State or local law or collective bargaining agreement which provides greater family or medical leave rights.  If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact Human Resources.

CCS reserves the right to modify this policy when circumstances warrant modification, or to change any provision of this policy as determined by CCS in its discretion, consistent with the FMLA and any other applicable law.

Electronic Communications

CCS continues to adopt and make use of new means of communication and information exchange. This means that many of our employees have access to one or more forms of electronic media and services, including: computers, e-mail, telephones, voice mail, fax machines, external electronic forums, wire services, on-line services, the Internet, and the World Wide Web.

CCS encourages the use of these media and associated services because they can make communication more efficient and effective and because they are valuable sources of information. However, all employees and everyone connected with CCS must be aware that electronic media and services provided by CCS are for the purpose of facilitating and supporting CCS educational and business use.

This policy cannot establish rules to cover every possible situation. Instead, it is designed to support CCS’s Mission Statement and set forth general principles employees should apply when using electronic media and services.

The following procedures apply to all electronic media and services that are:

  • accessed on or from CCS premises;
  • accessed using CCS computer equipment or via CCS paid access methods; or
  • used in a manner that identifies the individual with CCS.

Prohibited Communications

Electronic media cannot be used for knowingly transmitting, retrieving, or storing any communications that are:

  • discriminatory, annoying, or harassing;
  • derogatory to any individual or group;
  • offensive, obscene, defamatory, or threatening;
  • attempting to test, circumvent, or defeat security or auditing systems;
  • SPAMMING, the method of mass distribution of communications, that does not support CCS related business;
  • engaged in for any purpose that is illegal, fraudulent, malicious, or contrary to CCS policy or educational and business interests.
  • CCS reserves the right for interpretation of the above prohibited communications.

Personal Use

Electronic media and services are provided by CCS primarily for employees’ educational and business use. Limited, occasional, or incidental use of electronic media (sending or receiving) for personal, non-business purposes is understandable. Personal use of CCS’s electronic media and services cannot interfere with an employees’ position responsibilities. Employees are expected to demonstrate a sense of responsibility and not abuse this privilege.

Access to Employee Communications

CCS does not routinely access or monitor employee communications directly. However, individual use patterns – telephone numbers called, sites accessed, call length, and time at which calls are made – are monitored for the following purposes:

  • cost analysis;
  • resource allocation;
  • optimum technical management of information resources; and
  • detecting patterns of use that indicate employees are violating CCS policies or engaging in illegal activity

CCS reserves the right to review any employee’s electronic files and messages at any time to ensure electronic media and services are being used in compliance with the law, this policy, and other CCS policies. Employees should not assume that electronic communications are private.

Software Use

CCS licenses the use of various computer software for educational and business purposes and does not own the copyright to this software or its related documentation. The employees of CCS, do not have the right to reproduce such software for use on more than one computer, or use the software for purposes other than those authorized by the license.

Employees may only use software on local area networks or on multiple machines according to the software license agreement. CCS prohibits the illegal duplication of software and its related documentation.

Security / Appropriate Use

Employees must respect the confidentiality of other individuals’ electronic communications. Except in cases in which authorization has been granted by CCS management, employees are prohibited from engaging in, or attempting to engage in:

  • monitoring or intercepting the files or electronic communications of other employees or third parties;
  • hacking or obtaining access to systems or accounts they are not authorized to use;
  • using other people’s log-ins or passwords; and
  • breaching, testing, or monitoring computer or network security measures

No e-mail or other electronic communications can be sent using CCS equipment that attempt to hide the identity of the sender or represent the sender as someone else.

Electronic media and services should not be used in a manner that is likely to cause network congestion or significantly hamper the ability of other people to access and use the system.

Anyone obtaining electronic access to other organizations’ or individuals’ materials must respect all copyrights and cannot copy, retrieve, modify, or forward copyrighted materials, except as permitted by the copyright owner.

Confidential Information

The confidentiality of student and employee records is protected by state and federal laws. No employee may access confidential information unless authorized to do so. CCS confidential information should never be transmitted or forwarded to outside individuals or organizations without authorization. Employees are required and expected to protect CCS confidential information.

Participation in On-Line Forums

Employees must be aware that any messages or information sent on CCS provided facilities to one or more individuals via an electronic network (i.e.: Internet mailing lists, bulletin boards, and other on-line services) are statements identifiable and attributable to CCS.

CCS recognizes that participation in some forums might be important to the performance of certain employees’ positions. Employees should include the following disclaimer in all of their postings to public forums:

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are solely those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or approved by CCS.

Employees should note that, even with a disclaimer, connection with CCS exists and a statement could be imputed legally to CCS. Therefore, employees should not rely on disclaimers as a way of insulating CCS from the comments and opinions they contribute to forums. Instead, employees must limit their discussion to matters of fact and avoid expressing opinions while using CCS systems or a CCS provided account. Communications must not reveal information about CCS’s business or confidential information and must not otherwise conflict with this or other CCS policies.

Policy Violations

Employees who abuse or violate the privilege of CCS facilitated access to electronic media or services are subject to corrective action, up to and including termination.

Employee Conflict of Interest

CCS administrative staff should avoid situations where their own interests materially conflict with their obligations to CCS, or create the perception of a conflict. All decisions and actions by administrative staff in the course of their professional responsibilities are to be made consistent with their obligations to CCS.

Generally, a conflict of interest arises when an administrative staff member has a personal or financial interest in a transaction or event – or is a party to a transaction or event – that might adversely affect his or her judgment in performing professional or employment duties for CCS. Examples of potential conflicts of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:

  1. Engaging in any business with, or employment by, an employer that is in competition or in conflict with any transaction, activity, or objective of CCS.
  2. Engaging in business with or employment by a supplier of goods or services to CCS without prior approval of CCS.
  3. Using equipment, supplies, or services owned or provided by CCS in conjunction with any external work, without obtaining prior agreement in writing from CCS.
  4. Making use of any confidential information acquired through employment with CCS for personal profit or advantage, or the advantage of a third-party.
  5. Publicly associating CCS or its prestige with an outside business interest for personal gain.

Administrative staff members who believe they have a financial, personal or professional interest that is (or could potentially become) a conflict of interest must fully disclose the nature of the potential conflict in writing to the Director of Human Resources. All decisions concerning whether a conflict of interest exists are within the sole discretion of CCS.