Audio Visual Services provides equipment check-out and AV support for faculty, staff, and students. In addition, Audio Visual Services manages the reservations for and supports the Stage, the Green Screen Production studio, the Ford campus Wendell W. Anderson Jr. Auditorium and supports academic events on campus.
The Ford Audio Visual Center (AVC) is located on the first floor of the WBFII Building, room W109. The Ford AVC may be contacted at 313-664-7647. The Taubman Audio Visual Center is located on the 6th floor of the Taubman Center in room 623 and may be contacted at 313-664-1501.
Through the Audio Visual Centers, faculty may request 24 hour usage of equipment such as digital cameras, TV’s, projectors, and tablets for class purposes. The Center also has cables and adapters available for loan. All staff/faculty are required to pick up reserved equipment (with the exception of TV carts, which are generally delivered to the classroom). Equipment is limited; please submit all audio/visual requests at least two (2) weeks in advance to ensure that the equipment needed is available. Twenty-four hour rentals are free for faculty and staff; three day rentals are free for students, but students are charged a fee for any equipment returned late. Faculty may also make reservations through the AVC for using the sound or video editing suites, and the Stages located in the WBFII Building. Certain shops, labs, and studios may also be reserved through the AVC and Patron Portal. Reservations can be made by calling one of the Audio Visual Centers, reserving online through Patron Portal, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Equipment checkouts are free for current CCS students, staff, and faculty.
- Patrons must present a current CCS ID in order to check out equipment. No ID = No Checkout.
- Equipment can only be checked out in person and only during checkout desk hours. All checkouts are video recorded and monitored.
- Students may keep equipment for no more than 72 hours for each check out and renew. Students may renew a checkout one time for an additional 72 hours if the equipment has not been reserved.
- Students can check out equipment over spring break and Thanksgiving break.
- Students cannot check out equipment between semesters.
- To ensure student supply, Staff and Faculty can only check out equipment for 24 hours during the active winter and fall semesters.
- The patron is fully responsible for the care and safeguard of all equipment that they check out.
- The patron must pay close attention to all items being checked out to them. Read and sign the checkout agreement to avoid mistakes.
- The patron must check for equipment damage before they take it. Test and report any faulty equipment and return it immediately.
- The centers do not supply AA, AAA, or 9V batteries or media cards. We are not responsible for damage to the patron’s card by AVC equipment.
- Equipment can be reserved two weeks prior to pick up. Patrons may reserve in person, by phone or email.
- AVC staff are not responsible for miscommunication during phone in reservations or voicemail.
- A reservation confirmation email will be sent to the patron.
- Patrons are responsible for ensuring the information is correct on the reservation confirmation email.
- Reserved equipment will only be held for 30 minutes after the initial reservation. After 30 minutes, equipment not picked up will be available for normal checkout by other patrons.
- Equipment may be held longer for patrons who call to inform of a late pick up.
- The patron who reserved the equipment must pick up equipment.
- Consecutive reservation “No shows” (more than 3 times) may result in the semester suspension of check out privileges.
- All equipment must be returned on time.
- All equipment must be returned in the condition in which it was checked out (cords wrapped, cases packed neatly and clean).
- A $20.00 fee will be charged if AVC/Photo staff has to repack a disheveled equipment case or clean the returned equipment.
- It is encouraged that the patron stays and observes the AVC/Photo staff while they check in the returned equipment.
- Someone other than the patron who checked the equipment out may return equipment but the patron is still responsible for the condition of the returned equipment and any fees associated with a late return.
Late fees, fines, and suspensions
- Students, Staff, and Faculty are subject to late fines and replacement fees.
- Emails are sent by the system to notify the patron of due equipment and overdue equipment (Read system emails).
- Late fees begin to accumulate 30 minutes after items become overdue.
- Overdue fees accrue by the hour, including up to 5 hours after the checkout center closes.
- Different equipment items have different fine rates. Fines for individual items are calculated independently up to $5.00 per hour.
- Equipment overdue by more than 24 hours will result in accumulated fines and the suspension of checkout privileges.
- 24 hours late = two week suspension plus fines
- 48 hours late = three week suspension plus fines
- A late return that adversely affects another student’s reservation and project will result in an automatic four week suspension.
- Equipment overdue by 72 hours will result in a replacement fee, and indefinite suspension of check out privileges. Students will have a hold placed on their academic account. Staff and Faculty supervisors will be notified.
- Equipment overdue by one week will be considered stolen by the patron. A police report and arrest warrant will be issued.
- Overdue fines may be forgiven due to a patron involved in an automotive accident, injury requiring hospitalization, or death.
- Lost, stolen, or damaged equipment will result in a mandatory, non-negotiable, full replacement or repair charge.
- An official police report must be submitted for stolen equipment.
- Consecutive overdue returns and late fees may result in the semester suspension of check out privileges.
- Threatening or rude conduct toward any AVC checkout employee will result in the permanent loss of check out privileges.
- Fines must be paid at the CCS business office.
- Only the Equipment Checkout supervisor or Manager can override policy terms.