Resources and Policies for Veterans

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the contributions you have made to our country while serving in the Armed Forces. The College for Creative Studies is committed to our veterans and their eligible dependents. While transitioning back into civilian and college life, let us help you with many of the opportunities and challenges that you may face, including:

  • The VA educational benefits application process
  • Academic advising and course selection
  • Planning a program of study in accordance with CCS and VA policies and guidelines
  • Submission of enrollment certification paperwork
  • Information about scholarships offered to veterans and service members
  • Connections to College resources: Registration, Tutoring, Wellness Center and Career Services
  • Special recognition during the CCS Commencement Ceremony

At the service member’s request, we will also:

  • Act as a liaison between the veteran and the VA
  • Serve as a point of contact for additional referrals and resources

Veterans Educational Benefits

Eligibility for benefits is determined solely by the Veterans Administration.

Tuition Payments

Tuition payments are sent directly to CCS for Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) and Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill & Yellow Ribbon). Please keep in mind if your Chapter 33 benefits are less than 100% you are responsible for the remaining balance. Under all other programs, students receive funds from the VA and are responsible for paying their own tuition.

Enrollment Verification

If you are claiming benefits under Chapters 30, 1606, or 1607, you must verify your enrollment on the last calendar day of each month. Verification can be made online through WAVE at or by phone through the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378.

Monthly Housing Allowance

If eligible, the monthly housing allowance is paid directly to you. Students receiving benefits under Chapter 33 must be enrolled more than half-time (6 credit hours) to receive the housing allowance.

Book Stipend

If eligible, the book stipend (this includes art supplies) is paid directly to you. The stipend is based on your enrollment and is paid once per term ($41.67 per credit hour up to $1000/year).

Yellow Ribbon Program

CCS participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed either the annual maximum cap for private institutions or the resident tuition and fees for a public institution.

New Students

New Students applying for Veteran benefits for the first time, need to:

  1. Complete the Application for VA Education Benefits online at If you do not have access to apply online, call 1-888-442-4551 and request that an application be sent to you.
  2. A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will be issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs to the applicant/student showing approval to pursue an education program. This will include the remaining entitlement for the student and the eligibility dates.
  3. If you are eligible for VA benefits, submit your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the VA School Certifying Official’s (SCO) office before the start of your first semester at CCS either by mail, email or dropping it off in person. The SCO’s office is located in the Academic Advising and Registration Office on the first floor of the Yamasaki Building.

Transferring VA Benefits

If you have used your VA benefits at another institution, you will need to transfer your VA benefits:

  1. Complete Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training – visit VA Forms website.
  2. Submit your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the VA School Certifying Official’s (SCO) office before the start of your first semester at CCS either by mail, email or dropping it off in person. The SCO’s office is located in the Academic Advising and Registration Office on the first floor of the Yamasaki Building.

All VA Students

All VA Students need to:

  1. Complete the Request for VA Enrollment Certification once you have register for classes. This form will need to be completed each semester you wish to receive VA benefits. Bring completed form to the VA School Certifying Official (SCO) located in the Academic Advising and Registration Office in the Yamasaki Building.
  2. Notify the SCO of all changes of address, majors and withdrawals from courses.

Additional Information for VA students

The SCO monitors your academic progress and notifies the VA Regional Office of any withdrawals from classes or other changes in your status. Class attendance and completion is required for students receiving VA benefits. The VA only pays for courses a student completes. Lack of attendance or completion of any course could affect your benefits and create a debt with the VA.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will be notified of any student who is placed on probation or suspended from CCS.

The Department of Veteran Affairs will pay for a student to repeat a course if the original grade received was a 0.0 or if the grade received does not meet the minimum requirement for graduation.

The College’s refund policy for tuition and fees for students who drop a course(s) or withdraw from the College can be found in CCS Policy Database.

Veterans receiving assistance under Chapter 31 or 33 will not incur any penalties, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA.

Questions regarding veteran and military assistance may be directed to the VA School Certifying Official, Karen LaDucer at or via phone at 313-664-7671.