Add/Drop/Withdrawal FAQs

Can I add a course online during the first week of class?

Yes, registration is still open during the first week of class and students can register online through Self Service/Student Planning. Students should notify the instructor immediately of the registered course and schedule an advising appointment if they have questions about meeting credit requirements. We recommend students add classes as early as possible to avoid missing important course content.

I am registered for 18.0 credits and need to add one more course but it will not allow me to do so online?

Full-time registration/tuition has a maximum credit limit of 18.0 credits. Registration over 18.0 credits will require additional tuition charges per credit. Approval is required from an Academic Advisor and the student must consult with Financial Aid to review additional tuition costs.

If I am registered at full-time for 15.0 or 18.0 credits, will I get a refund for dropping one course?

No. Standard degree courses are 1.5 – 3.0 credits at CCS and dropping (or withdrawing) one class with a schedule of 15.0 or 18.0 credits prior, will keep a student within the full-time range:
15.0 credits will go down to 12.0 credits
18.0 credits will go down to 15.0 credits

Full-time status is 12.0 credits minimum, up to 18.0 credits maximum. There is no change in tuition charges for this block of credits.

I am full-time at 12.0 credits and need to drop a class, what is the latest I should drop?

Students registered for 12.0 credits should drop before the 100% refund deadline. Dropping below 12.0 credits will change your full-time status to less than full-time (or part-time credits) and you will get refunded for those dropped credits. See Financial Aid immediately to review your credits and refund concerns if you are withdrawing a course after the 100% refund deadline. Students dropping after the 100% deadline will be responsible for tuition charges based on the percentages listed in the Academic Calendar.

Will dropping a class affect my scholarship, grants, or other funding?

All questions/concerns related to scholarships, grants and funding for your CCS education should be directed to the Financial Aid Office.

What is the difference between a W and WN withdrawal grade?

Course Withdrawals that take place after the 100% refund period, but before full charges apply (around the 2nd – 4th week of class) will receive a grade of W grade. See the Academic Calendar for deadlines associated with tuition refund percentages of 80%, 60%, and 40% for withdrawn credits.

Course Withdrawals that are requested after the 4th week of class (when full charges apply), receive a grade of WN. Withdrawal with no refunds.

Why is dropping a class after the add/drop period considered a withdrawal?

A standard course drop does not appear on an academic transcript, but a course withdrawal grade of any kind (W, WN, WF) will appear on the transcript as credits attempted, but not completed.

Is it better to withdraw from a class or get a failing grade?

Withdrawing from a course will not affect your GPA unlike a failed course, so withdrawals can help maintain your GPA. However, students who accumulate a lot of withdrawal grades (W and WN) could risk a negative impact on their federal funding eligibility. W, WN, F, & WF grades are all listed on transcripts as attempted credits towards your degree that were not completed. While the W & WN grades do not impact the GPA like F & WF grades, students who have a high rate of attempted credits that were not completed (and have any combination of these grades) may risk the probation or suspension of federal funding. This is not related to a student’s academic standing, but could affect their program continuation if they rely on tuition assistance.

See a Financial Aid Counselor for details about SAP if you have a high rate of withdrawals, have a GPA below 2.0., or are concerned about eligibility for your financial aid/scholarships.
Satisfactory Academic Progress – Graduate Students
Satisfactory Academic Progress – Undergraduate Students

Students should consult with their Academic Advisor after speaking with their Financial Aid Counselor to develop a degree plan specific to their credit needs, for successful continuation in their degree program.