Pass Request Form

Complete this form to request a pass grade in lieu of eligible grades listed below for the Summer 2021 semester.

About P/NC grading:

  • P/NC grades are NOT included in semester or cumulative GPA calculations
  • Undergraduate students have the option to convert any B-, C+, C, C-, D, D- course grades to “P” Pass.  Graduate students have the option to convert any B-, C+, or C course grades to “P” Pass.
  • For undergraduate courses, any grade of F becomes a “NC” no-credit (requirement not completed). The Academic Advising and Registration Office will automatically change “F” grades to NC (no credit, requirement not completed).
  • P receives course credit (completed)
  • NC does not receive course credit (not completed)
  • Art Education classes (DAE) do not qualify for the P grading option, per the State of Michigan Department of Education.

Pass FAQs (Click to expand)

Open for submission August 4th at 12:00 p.m. EST (noon) until 12:00 p.m. EST (noon) on August 6th.

Do I need to request a P/NC grade for Winter 2021?

Students are not required to submit a request for P/NC. This is an optional form available for students to avoid the impact of low grades during the current pandemic. Note: Failed courses are changed to NC automatically and should not be listed on the form.

How will I know if I should request a P grade?

Students should check their Winter 2021 final grades online in Self Service first before requesting a P grade. This request can only apply to eligible grades found in the P/NC policy and may help students maintain a GPA close to their prior cumulative GPA (if it has not improved). 

Important! Students pursuing Art Education should not request P grades for any DAE courses; these do not qualify per the State of Michigan Department of Education.

Do I need to request P/NC grades for all of my classes?

No. Students should request “P” grades for low graded courses. Grades eligible to replace with a “P (pass)” are listed in the P/NC policy. Failed courses will automatically be replaced with an “NC (no credit) grade, so please do not list courses with “F” grades on the form. Students may request “P” grades for one, multiple, or all courses if the original final grades qualify.

Where should I view my cumulative GPA?

Open a copy of your unofficial transcript in Self Service. This will allow you to view your cumulative GPA after recent semesters. See prior cumulative GPA before Winter 2021 and current cumulative GPA after Winter 2021; view the impact of your current grades.  

Will I be added to the Dean’s or President’s List if my GPA improves after using the P/NC grade option for my courses?  

No, the P (pass) and NC (no credit) cannot be considered for the Dean’s List or President’s List. Students must have all required letter grades which are calculated into your GPA for a term. Students who obtain a GPA of 3.5 – 3.799 with all letter grades (A through D-) for the term (no P/NC) can be considered for the Dean’s List; students who obtain a GPA of 3.8 or higher with all letter grades (A through D-) for the term (no P/NC) will be considered for the President’s List. Full-time credit status for the semester is also required.

What if I am graduating? Can I request a P/NC grade?

Graduating students can use a P (passing) grade request, but an NC (no credit) grade is not acceptable for degree requirements. Course requirements that are not satisfied and have an NC grade must be retaken and will postpone graduation of your degree program. Contact the Registrar if you need to graduate in a later term.

I currently have an “I” Incomplete grade for a Winter 2021 course, will I be eligible for the P/NC grading?

The deadline to submit the P/NC request form for Winter 2021 is May 13th at 12:00 p.m. EST (noon). If you receive an updated final grade for your “I” grade before May 13th, then a request for a “P” grade can be submitted. Grade concerns after May 13th will need to be addressed by the department following standard grade change request/appeal policies.

I was not able to drop or attend my classes due to the pandemic, what will happen to my courses?

Course Drops and Withdrawals must be processed by the deadline indicated on the Academic Calendar. If you failed one or more courses because you stopped attending or never attended, the “F” grades will automatically be changed to an NC (no credit). This will not impact your GPA, however, it may impact your Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid (just the same as failed courses). Please follow-up with your Financial Aid counselor as needed.

I am on probation, will I be suspended?

No. Students currently on probation will not be suspended at the end of Winter 2021, and will maintain a continuation of probation status for the upcoming semester. The original probation/suspension policy will go back into effect for the Fall 2021 semester; academic progress (GPA requirements) will be reviewed again at the end of Fall 2021 to determine probation/suspension status. 

Students on probation with low grades can review grading plans with their Academic Advisor if needed. Determine if “P” grades are beneficial or if the actual earned grades will help improve your current GPA. Failed courses will receive an NC grade and may impact your Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid. Check in with your Financial Aid Counselor if you receive NC grades. Also contact your Academic Advisor with questions.

I was not on probation for Fall 2020, but my current cumulative GPA is below 2.0, should I submit a P/NC request?

Yes, you should submit a request for any courses with low grades to maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher. Grad students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

I have questions about the P/NC grading options, who should I contact? Undergraduate and TC students should contact the Academic Advising & Registration Office. International & Graduate students should contact the International & Graduate student Advisor (International Student Services).

Please note, the Pass form can be submitted May 11th at 12:00 p.m. EST (noon) until 12:00 p.m. EST (noon) on May 13th.  

You must log in to view this form. Please login in to the right using your CCS username and password.