It is advisable to call the business first before driving there, as businesses change. If you have any corrections or additions to this list, please contact Tom Roney in the Trans Dept. Faculty Office. Thanks!
On line resources
www.mcmaster.com – A large industrial supply house in Chicago. Good for most “bits” you may need.
www.thomasnet.com – A “Yellow Pages” of sorts for industry. Here you can find several sources for what
Plywood, Bending Birch Plywood, Veneers, Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)
(see Hobby Shops for thin plywood, balsa and bass wood)
- All American Plywood
18840 John R (south of 7 mile), Detroit
- Plywood Detroit
13250 Stephens (Just west of Groesbeck)
- Oakwood Veneer (supplier of all types of wood veneer)
1830 Stephenson Hwy.
Troy, MI 48083
- Nautical Lumber Company LLC (boat building lumber, hardwoods, marine plywood)
14550 E. Eleven Mile Rd.
Warren, MI 48089
Hardwoods, Exotic Woods, Woodworking Items
- True Value Public Lumber Co.
1001 E. 7 Mile Rd. (at I-75)
- The Woodworkers Store
29918 Woodward Ave. (btwn 12&13 Mile)
- Armstrong Mill Works
Modelling Foam, Yellow and Tan Polyurethane- 6,12,20lb densities,etc.
- Reklein Plastics
42310 Mound Rd
Sterling Hgts, MI
4” Blue Foam
- Boomers Building Supply
1940 E. Forest, Detroit
Aluminum, Stainless, Steel, Rods, Sheets, etc.
- Factory Steel & Aluminum Supply Co.
14020 Oakland (I-75 & Davison area), Highland Park
- Metal Mart USA (Small quantities of metals are their specialty.)
- Federal Pipe & Supply Co.
6464 E. McNichols, Detroit
- Meco Metals
2143 Coolidge (btwn 8 &9 Mile),
- Oakland Metals
2430 N. Opdyke ( S of University),
- Copper & Brass Sales
Metal Mesh, Stainless, Aluminum, etc..
- Phoenix Wire Cloth, Inc.
585 Stephenson Hwy. (btwn 14Mile & Maple Rd.),
Unique Hardware – Knobs, Drawer Pulls, Hinges, etc.
- Russell Hardware Co.
1036 N. Woodward Ave. (btwn Maple & Big Beaver Rd.),
- Herald Wholesale
20830 Coolidge Hwy. (btwn 8 & 9 Mile Rd.)
- General Caster Service (Great source for casters of all types – look in the sale bins to match a set up)
31301 Stephenson Hwy. (west side of Stephenson, north of 12 Mile Rd.)
Hours: 8am-6pm M-F
Plastic – Rods, Tubes, Sheets, etc.
- Cadillac Plastic
- Laird Plastics
- Plex Lab
3319 10 mile (btwn. Ryan & Dequindre)
- Stellar Plastics
14121 Gratiot (S of 7 mi.)
Clay, Fiberglass, Clay tools, Mold-Making, Polyester resin, Latex, etc.
- Russ Simpson
- Michigan Fiberglass Sales (Fiberglass supplies, gel coat, laminating balsa, carbon fiber, etc.)
22930 E. Industrial Drive
St. Clair Shores, MI 48080
Plastic casting resins: hard, soft , transparent or colored, polyurethane foam, Silicones, Epoxys, woven reinforcement fabrics, etc.
- TFB Plastics, Inc.
51608 Oro Drive (runs north from 23 Mile Rd., between Schoenherr and Hayes, east of Van Dyke Fwy.)
Shelby Township, MI 48315
Jewelry making supplies
- CR Hill
2734 W. 11 Mile near Coolidge
Fabric, Upholstery, sewing, etc.
- Haberman Fabrics
905 S. Main
- Calico Corners
S. Telegraph ,Bloomfield Hills, (248)332-9163 and
23240 Greater Mack, St. Clair Shores, (586)775-0078
Foam, vinyl, fabrics, upholstering
- The Foam Factory
22800 Hall Rd. (One block west of Groesbeck)
Clinton Twp., MI 48036
Hobby Store / Model Centers K&S Brass/Aluminum profiles, Plastistruct profiles, balsa wood, aircraft
plywood, basswood, X- Acto, Testors paints and decal film for printers, etc.
- Whistle Stop Hobby & Toy, Inc. (Testors paints and decal film for color printers)
21714 Harper Ave. (at Shady Lane, which is 8-1/2 mile Rd.)
St. Clair Shores, MI 48080
- Great Lakes Hobby & Train (Small sheet styrene & ABS, scale expanded and perforated brass sheet.)
43089 Van Dyke (1 mile south of M-59/Hall Rd., between Utica Rd and 19 Mile Rd., on the west side of Van Dyke,) Sterling Heights, MI 48314
- P&D Hobby Shop (Large radio control models and parts section. Model railroading specialists.)
31280 Groesbeck Hwy.
- Larry’s Peformance R/C’s (A good source for gears, coil-over shocks, tires and wheels from RC cars.)
42246 Mound Rd.
Sterling Heights, MI 48314
- Prop Shop Hobbies, Inc. (Best source for flying aircraft models, engines and supplies, RC, aircraft
23326 Van Dyke Ave. plywood, balsa, bass wood, etc.)
Warren, MI 48089
Paper, Handmade, Unusual Papers, Stationary, etc.
- Sheets, Inc
2607 14th Street (across from old Tiger Stadium, in the Standard Paper Co. bldg.)
(248) 541-5630 (Royal Oak phone number still good)
- Home Depot
660 W 12Mile at I-75
Open 24 Hours
1005 E. 13 Mile, east of I-75
- Michael’s (located throughout metro Detroit)
- Jo-Ann’s Fabrics and Crafts
Sign Shops (vinyl cut logos, silk screening, etc. for model graphics)
Signs by Tomorrow (vinyl and silk screening)