Please note that the Masks and Sanitizing procedures are required in all Academic Facilities.
All return to campus procedures are required
Please click the links below to visit the individual pages for each facility.
About Academic Facilities
Academic Facilities currently includes the Metalshop & Foundry, Model Shop & Digital Fabrication Lab (CNC / rapid prototyping, laser cutting) and
Academic facilities maintain consistent open shop hours to facilitate the needs of the students, faculty & staff. These hours are posted at the beginning of each semester and are aligned with the building hours posted by Campus Safety.
Currently the educational structure for students to be able to work in the shops is to take either Foundations course 3D Design Techniques DFN116 or Model Making DFN 132. If students pass with a C/2.0 or better, they are allowed access to the shops during their curricular tenure at the college. This provides entry-level access and does not mean students can use every shop or every tool in the shop. Department specific courses are offered that build on these basic skills.
The digital fabrication lab, foundry, metalshop, model shop, and wood shop are not instructional facilities. All faculty are responsible for teaching their students the tools and techniques they expect their students to use in the construction of finished projects.
Faculty must notify the shop managers if they wish to instruct their classes in the shop at the beginning of the semester. An Academic Project form is required with a copy of the syllabus, a complete timeline, roster and support materials. These forms are necessary for any class project that needs to utilize the shop and will help us to schedule, communicate, and facilitate more effectively. These documents need to be turned in to the Department Chair and the appropriate Academic Facility Manager at the same time syllabi are due. The reasons for this are:
- Overall student experience, safety, and health precautions.
- Time lines & scheduled appointments to let the shop be better prepared for your class and identify potential overload. There are on average 20+ classes that are scheduled in the shops and shop classrooms that have priority for work space and equipment.
- Identify potential training, supplies, equipment, staff & budget needs.
- Faculty Training. A Faculty members personal understanding of how to use the shop equipment does not mean they are teaching consistent and proper safety techniques to students or know the limitations and requirements of the individual facilities.
- Open shop time is required for students who have the course work in the shop for their curricular requirements. This open work time is at a premium with the current number of scheduled courses in the Ford Campus Academic Facilities.
Classes that wish to be held in the classroom within the foundry, metalshop model shop, or woodshop for the entire semester need to be scheduled appropriately through Colleague.
If faculty are not capable to teach the techniques needed to complete an assigned project, the project should be modified to accommodate the skills of the instructor, or the instructor should give themselves ample time to learn the skills they wish to pass on to the student.
Shop technicians and work-study are not necessarily qualified to teach faculty and students how to use equipment. Nor should they be expected complete work for students or faculty.
Mandatory Safety Orientation for each individual shop area is required for all faculty and staff of the college that would like to use the shops in their course curriculum or to utilize the shops in any capacity. There is at least one orientation session at the beginning of each semester. Contact the appropriate shop manager for scheduling.
Forms are required for: Academic projects, Individual projects, & Independent student projects. Hold Harmless Waivers are required for any visiting artist and anyone that is going to be in the shop in any capacity that is not enrolled or currently employed by the college; as they are not covered by any liability insurance.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and we look forward to working with you!