CCS Immunization Recommendation

To protect against preventable diseases and outbreaks, CCS strongly recommends that all students be fully immunized prior to arrival on campus.  CCS does not require immunization records for students enrolling in courses, immunization may however be required to participate in some activities (eg. certain study abroad programs, internships, service learning trips, etc.).  Information on required immunizations in these instances will be provided to interested students.

The list of immunizations provided here follow the recommendations for adult immunizations from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, as published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and recommendations for college students from the American College Health Association. Talk to your health care provider to ensure your immunizations are current prior to arriving on campus.

Recommended vaccinations for college students:

  • COVID-19 recommended to be fully vaccinated including all eligible boosters.
  • Influenza (Flu) Every year.
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) Two doses after 12 months of age.
  • Meningitis (ACYW) Recommended for all first year students living in residence halls; other students under age 25 may also choose to be vaccinated to reduce risk of disease. Ask your health care provider if a booster is needed. More info about meningitis.
  • Meningitis B Recommended for individuals with certain long term health conditions. Ask your health care provider. More info about meningitis.
  • Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis Primary series completed as child, then a Tdap after age 11. Tetanus booster every 10 years after receiving Tdap.
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox) 2 doses if you have not had chicken pox disease.
  • Hepatitis A 2 doses completed in childhood.
  • Hepatitis B 3 doses completed in childhood.
  • Human Papilloma Virus 3 doses for men and women between ages 11-26.
  • Pneumococcal Recommended for individuals at risk for pneumonia. Adults 19-64 with asthma or who smoke. Anyone age 2-64 with certain long term health problems or weakened immune system.
  • Polio Primary series completed in childhood.

Emotional Support Animals

Students are permitted to keep Emotional Support Animals (ESA) in on-campus housing on a case-by case basis as a reasonable accommodation for a documented disability. ESA’s may not travel throughout campus property/buildings without their owners, and must be contained within the student’s designated residence area (or grounds) at all times.

Approval Process

In order to bring an ESA to campus, the student must contact the Director of Residence Life as early as possible to permit time to gather and review all necessary documentation (There is a minimum of 30 days for housing to process the request). Animals that have not yet been approved may not be on campus or in student housing. This process needs to be followed EACH YEAR regardless of previous year approvals.

  • The student will be asked to provide documentation of his/her disability and medical documentation of the need for the ESA, including how the animal is a necessary part of current and ongoing therapy and be drafted by a licensed mental health professional(see letter guidelines).
  • Students will be asked to provide up to date vaccination and health records to the office of housing that have been updated at least 4 months prior to move in.

Each request will be evaluated in consideration of the needs of the individual and the concerns of the College community. The College reserves the right to amend this policy, as circumstances require. The college will prohibit a specific animal that: poses a threat to the health or safety of others; would cause substantial physical damage to property; would pose an undue financial or administrative burden on the College, or would fundamentally alter the nature of campus housing operations.

Letter Guidelines

For a person to legally qualify for an emotional support animal (ESA), he/she must be considered emotionally disabled by a licensed mental health professional (therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc.), as evidenced by a properly formatted prescription letter. Typically, a medical doctor does not qualify because they are not a licensed mental health professional. 

The letter should state that:

  • You are currently his/her patient
  • You are under his/her care for the treatment of mental disability found in the DSM IV or V (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, version 4 or 5).
  • Your disability substantially limits at least one major life activity
  • He/she prescribes for you an emotional support animal as a necessary treatment for your mental health.
  • In addition, the letter must be dated, written on his/her letterhead, include his/her license type, NPI number, date of license, and state in which the license was issued.

Student’s Responsibilities

The owner of an ESA living in campus housing is responsible for the following (once approved):

  • The student must be in full control of the animal at all times.
  • The student must provide adequate care and supervision of the animal at his/her own expense. This includes proper hygiene, cleanup and disposal of waste.
  • Animal waste may not be disposed of in a trash receptacle within any campus building. Waste must be disposed of in outdoor trash bins only. If waste is not disposed of properly, fines may be issued to students.
  • The student must continue providing for the health of the animal, such as vaccinations, annual check-ups, and compliance with any licensing requirements.
  • The student must assure that the animal does not cause undue interference or disruption to other residents.
  • When being transported outside the residence area, the ESA must be placed in an animal carrier or controlled by leash or harness as well as remove any animal waste from the CCS property.
  • The student will indemnify, hold harmless, defend and be liable for any harm caused by the animal, including bodily injury or property damage. This responsibility includes, but is not limited to, any expenses incurred for pest control, maintenance or cleaning above and beyond standard costs.
  • The student must take the animal with him/her when leaving campus for a prolonged period of time and may not leave the animal in the care of any other resident overnight.
  • The student will provide current vet records at the beginning of each Academic Year.

Conflicting Health Conditions

Housing will notify any roommates and will make a reasonable effort to notify the residents of neighboring units to where the ESA will be located.  Students with a medical condition that may be affected by animals (ex. severe allergies) should contact Housing with any health or safety concerns about exposure to an ESA. Medical documentation of the condition may be requested.  If a student has a serious allergy or has any reason they are unable to live with an ESA in their room, the owner of the ESA may be asked to move rooms.

Removal of Animals from Campus

The College reserves the right to remove or exclude an ESA from campus if:

  • The animal poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
  • The animal is in poor health or if it is not housebroken.
  • The animal creates an unmanageable disturbance or interference.
  • The student fails to comply with his/her/their responsibilities under this policy.

Wellness and Counseling Services

Yamasaki, Second Floor, Ext. 7852, 7838 or 7412
Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm


The CCS Wellness Center is dedicated to promoting the well-being of the whole student and the whole campus through the use of innovative, creative, accessible and impactful wellness initiatives. The Wellness Center offers personal counseling, health services, group support, workshops and various student-oriented activities aimed at building and fostering community and inclusion.


Counseling Services at the College for Creative Studies, staffed by graduate-degree, licensed clinicians, assists students in meeting their emotional, psychological, and mental health needs and contributes to a campus environment that facilitates the healthy growth and development of students. Both individual and group support services are available covering a variety of topics and presenting issues.

Health Services offered through the CCS Wellness Center are staffed by Board Certified Nurse Practitioners. Health Services can provide basic medical care for minor illnesses and injuries as well as referrals for more specialized or urgent care when needed.

Wellness Services are offered throughout the year to students and include yoga, various topic-specific workshops, and student-oriented activities and programming.

All services provided by the Wellness Center are free and available to currently enrolled, full or part-time students during the academic year.

To make an appointment contact the Wellness Center:

Or call the Office of Student Affairs at: 313-664-7879

Student Affairs

Yamasaki, Second Floor, Ext. 7879
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 A.M.- 4:30 P.M.

The Office of Student Affairs promotes the personal and academic welfare of all CCS students, individually and collectively. The Office of Student Affairs staff has a broad knowledge of CCS and the Detroit area. All questions and concerns, large or small, can be discussed freely and confidentially with the staff. The Office of Student Affairs includes on-campus housing, personal counseling, the student ombudsman, student activities, judicial services, orientation and commencement, student diversity and inclusion, campus nurse, and Dean of Students.

Occasionally you may feel that there is a breakdown in communication or a difference in point of view with another student, faculty member or staff member. If, after attempting to discuss the matter with the party involved, there is no resolution, or if there is a complaint or suggestion you wish to make, it is important to know where to go and to whom you can speak. In most cases, your department chair or a member of the Office of Student Affairs can help. In any case, you should talk to someone so that your concerns can be made known and some response can be given.


There are over 600 students living in CCS student housing. The housing consists of apartment style units in the Art Centre Building and loft style units in the A. Alfred Taubman Center.

We have a dedicated and energetic staff of 10 resident assistants in the Art Centre Building and 8 resident assistants in the A. Alfred Taubman Center. The resident assistants are upper class students that assist residents and plan programs and activities. Programs and activities are designed to build great communities within the buildings and to provide those bonds that will last a lifetime. 

In addition to the resident assistants, there are professional staff members who live in the ACB and in the A. Alfred Taubman Center.

All housing policies are listed in the Student Housing Information booklet that is handed out when students move into housing. Students are responsible for reading and following these policies. If you have not received this booklet, please contact housing to receive one.

Wellness Center Informed Consent

Eligibility and Service Limits

The Wellness Center provides solution-focused counseling services for CCS students (“clients”) who are currently attending full-time or part-time. The services you receive at the Wellness Center are based on a determination of your needs and goals.

Our Counselors/ Fees

The personal counselors at the Wellness Center are Licensed Mental Health Providers, licensed by the State of Michigan. They have at least a master’s degree in counseling, social work, or psychology. The counselors will provide you additional information regarding their training and counseling methods and philosophies at the start of the counseling relationship. There are no fees charged to registered CCS students for counseling services.


The personal counselors generally provide solution-focused counseling services. Our counseling is a way to assist clients through personal difficulties that may affect or hinder their academic performance at CCS. Services provided by the personal counselors are not intended to include crisis or long-term counseling needs, or diagnose or treat serious and/or persistent mental illness or mental disorders. Should your needs or presenting issues require services that the Wellness Center does not provide, you will be referred to another agency or treatment provider that can meet your needs. CCS personal counselors will assist the client in finding an appropriate professional or organization that may specialize in the issues presented by the client. These professionals are not paid by or employed by CCS. A referral does not represent an endorsement or formal relationship between the referral source and CCS.

All referrals are at the discretion of CCS and are voluntary on the part of the client.


The personal counselors adhere to Federal and State laws and professional ethical standards. Counseling records are confidential, maintained and stored in secured cabinets with access restricted to personal counseling staff, and may only be released when mandated by a court or authorized by your signature (or that of your legal representative), with some exceptions. We are legally required to disclose information in some situations to protect people from harm, even though that requires revealing some information about a client’s treatment. The following situations are exceptions to confidentiality:

  • If we believe that a client is threatening serious harm to another person, we are required to take protective actions, which may include but is not limited to, appropriate CCS personnel, notifying the potential victim, notifying the police, or seeking appropriate intervention.
  • If a client threatens to hurt him/herself, we may be required to contact others who can help provide protection from harm.
  • If we learn from first-hand knowledge that a child or incapacitated adult is being abused, we may be required to file a report with an appropriate agency.
  • If your records are requested by a proper subpoena or court order, we may be required to turn your records over to the court.
  • In addition, confidential counseling information may be disclosed where necessary for administrative supervision, clinical supervision, consultation, or other internal administrative functions – such as the Student Concerns Committee. Counselors reserve the right to verify attendance in counseling when there is a referral initiated by an administrator, faculty or staff.

A copy of the Office of Student Affairs’ Notice of Privacy Practices is attached. Please review it carefully.

Risks and Benefits of Counseling

There is a possibility of benefits and risks when participating in counseling. The risks may involve the remembering of unpleasant events and may arouse strong emotional feelings. Counseling may also impact relationships with significant others. The benefits of counseling may be an improved ability to relate with others; a clearer understanding of self, values, goals; increased academic productivity; and ability to deal with everyday stress. You and your personal counselor will work together to determine the pace and form of treatment so as to minimize the risks while maximizing the benefits of counseling.

Location, Hours, and Emergencies

The personal counselors are available in the Wellness Center, second floor Yamasaki Building Monday – Friday from 8:30am – 4:30pm. The mailing address for the wellness center is: 201 E. Kirby, Detroit, MI 48202.

For after-hour emergencies you may contact the Wayne State University Psychology Clinic’s 24-hour crisis line at 313-224-7000, National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.


With respect to electronic mail (e-mail), be cautioned that e-mail is not a confidential means of communication. Furthermore, the Office of Student Affairs cannot ensure that e-mail messages will be received or responded to if the personal counselor is not available. E-mail is not the appropriate way to communicate confidential, urgent or emergency information


Student Affairs professional staff, for the purposes of scheduling and managing appointment times, do have access to the personal counselors electronic calendars. Only the student’s name, phone number and date/time are included in this information. All Student Affairs professional staff adheres to protecting each student’s confidentiality per their signed confidentiality agreement form.

If you are unable to keep a counseling appointment, please call 313-664-7879 to cancel 24 hours in advance or as soon as possible. If your personal counselor cannot keep an appointment with you, you will be contacted by the Office of Affairs or another personal counselor from the wellness center to reschedule your appointment. If you do not show for a scheduled appointment and do not contact your personal counselor for a follow-up appointment within 30 days, your file will be closed. You can reopen your file at any time by contacting one of the personal counselors or the Office of Student Affairs to schedule an appointment. If you are chronically late or do not attend your scheduled appointments your eligibility for personal counseling services may be revoked.

Contacting You

In the event that the staff at the Office of Student Affairs needs to contact you, please provide a phone number and email address where you wish to be reached, and whether you authorize the Office of Affairs to leave messages.

Informed Consent

Students with Disabilities

The transition to college can be very confusing and it helps to take advantage of all the resources available to you. If you have a disability, it may be in your best interest to communicate this.

All students are encouraged to disclose disabilities that they feel may affect their academic success. We want you to succeed, and our ability to offer you the best education is made possible if you are receiving the appropriate assistance.

The Americans with Disabilities Act in conjunction with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act are Federal laws that protect people with disabilities, both life-long as well as short-term disabilities.

Students identified as having any type of disability are entitled and encouraged to request accommodations.

Requesting Accommodations

As the student you will need to:

Contact the Dean of Students, Dan Long at 313.664.7675 or Email to discuss.

Students requesting accommodations must provide documentation substantiating their disability. This documentation may be either through the Disability Verification Form or by providing a letter from a treating doctor or mental health profession that includes the information outlined by the Disability Verification Form . It is important that whichever form of documentation you provide to the College include recommended accommodations that are related to the symptoms of your disability.

CCS will then:

  • Review your request for accommodations with you
    Take appropriate measures to provide approved accommodations
  • Information disclosed to CCS regarding disabilities will not be shared with anyone except CCS staff who will assist in meeting your accommodation needs. You will be notified prior to the sharing of any information regarding your disability.
  • You are encouraged to self-disclose your disability if you feel it will affect your academic performance. This should be done before the start of each term. You may choose to disclose at anytime during the semester but remember – retroactive accommodations cannot be made after an assignment is due or an exam has been taken. Disabilities accommodations are not meant to guarantee academic success at the College but are meant to provide equal access to educational opportunities to all individuals regardless of disabilities.

Student Government

The purpose of Student Government is to provide a student voice on campus. Student Government seeks to effect positive change within the institution and to provide a platform for ideas, debate and change that reflect the student body. Student Government works to ensure that campus programs and resources are used properly and facilitate relations/communication between students and administrators. Another goal of Student Government is to develop a sense of community on campus. Student Government welcomes ideas and suggestions from all CCS students. Contact person: Director of Student Life, 313-664-7676.

Student Accident Insurance

All registered degree-seeking and non-matriculating students are automatically enrolled in the accident insurance policy offered through Student Assurance Services. The student insurance plan is active from the beginning of the semester in which the student is registered. Students enrolled in the Fall semester pay a rate of $30 and are covered Fall, Winter and Summer semesters. Students enrolling for the Winter semester pay a discounted premium of $20 due to the shorter activity of the plan (effective for Winter and Summer semesters). Students enrolled for any Summer term and not enrolled in an immediately preceding Fall or Winter term pay a rate of $11 and are covered for the Summer term only. Each student is covered 24 hours a day, for on-and off-campus accidents. The policy covers up to $10,000 per accident for necessary medical, hospital and emergency services and dental accident coverage up to $500 per accident with no deductibles.

The plan functions as follows: When the insured requires treatment, because of accidental bodily injury incurred while the policy is in force, by a licensed physician or registered nurse or needs hospital care or ambulance service, the company will pay the expenses actually incurred to a maximum of $10,000. Benefits for dental injuries are limited to $500 for repair and/or replacement of sound and natural teeth. See the insurance brochure in the Office of Student Affairs for more detailed information regarding coverage and claim procedures.

In Case of an Accident

To receive treatment: Present your proof of insurance card to the emergency room or outpatient facility providing treatment.

To place claims: Pick up claim forms from the Office of Student Affairs or online through BlackBoard shortly after the accident/treatment. You must have a doctor’s report to submit with the claim. Instructions for filing claims are on the form. To check the status of your filed claim call the Claims Office at 1.800.328.2739.

If you get hurt while working as a work study student

  • Report the injury/accident to Campus Safety to fill out a report.
  • If medical attention is required, you must go to Concentra Medical Center located at 2151 E. Jefferson, Detroit, MI 48207 with an authorization form from Campus Safety.
  • All follow-up care must be done at Concentra Medical Center.
  • If injury is life threatening, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital.

Additional sickness and major medical insurance is available through the College for students and their spouses and dependents. For claim forms, more information on the accident insurance policy or additional sickness or major medical insurance enrollment information, contact the Director of Student Life in The Office of Student Affairs, located on the second floor of the Yamasaki building or call 313.664.7676.

Student Programs and Activities

The Office of Student Affairs coordinates a number of student programs throughout the academic year, including film festivals, socials, music groups, guest speakers, educational programs, orientation, graduation and much more. For information on particular program schedules, check the bulletin boards or visit the Office of Student Affairs. If you have an idea for a student activity, please stop by the Office of Student Affairs and offer your suggestions.