First Aid

Please report every accident to the shop technician, manager and instructor immediately. First aid supplies are available for students and faculty and are located next to the door of the tool crib.

Severe injury should be handled in these steps:

  • Assess the situation-make sure that it is safe for you to approach.
  • Call 911
  • Contact campus safety -(Ford Campus X7444 or Taubman Campus X1444)- and ask them to escort the EMS personnel to the proper location.
  • Administer first aid…if you are trained to do so.
  • Recommend the student seek medical attention regardless of the injury.
  • Always file an incident report with campus safety to document the accident.

If the person does not want to wait for EMS; there are several hospitals in the vicinity:

  • Henry Ford Hospital
  • Grand River- west of the Lodge Freeway.
  • Detroit Receiving Hospital
  • Saint Antoine- south of Warren.
  • Harper Hospital
  • John R. – south of Warren.
  • Beaumont Hospital (Royal Oak) 13 Mile Rd. -west of Woodward.
  • Beaumont Hospital (Dearborn) Oakwood Ave. – Oakwood Ave. North exit Westbound I-94 -go north on Oakwood.

CCS employees are advised not to transport anyone to the hospital due to possibilities of complications or other unforeseen events.

Blood Borne Pathogens should be seriously considered when administering first aid treatments…these include HIV viruses that cause AIDS, and Hepatitis B and C viruses.

To protect yourself, universal precautions must be observed. Universal precautions mean treating all human blood/fluids as if it was infected, regardless of the person who is injured. It is essential to wear gloves when contact is possible. If a blood spill occurs, notify the shop manager, instructor or shop technician immediately.

Unless you have opted out upon registration, all CCS students have accident insurance. Students have 90 days after receiving treatment to turn in the bill with a claim form. Claim forms are available in the Office of Student Life. The insurance company will evaluate the bill and make a payment. The entire amount may not be covered by insurance and students will be responsible for the remaining balance. If students have additional health insurance, they can submit the outstanding bill to that company who may or may not pay the balance. All students with questions regarding insurance should be referred to the Director of Student Life.

December 15, 2016

January 4, 2021