Student Complaint Policy

Current College for Creative Studies students who wish to file a complaint concerning experiences at the College or with a College employee may seek resolution by filing an Informal Complaint or a Formal Complaint. This policy includes the process to make an Informal Complaint and a Formal Complaint, as well as the process to make a complaint to external agencies regarding CCS. The policy does not replace existing policies for making Title IX Sexual Misconduct reports, financial aid appeals, judicial processes, or the Academic Appeal process. Student complaints are tracked by the College and reports are issued to appropriate departments to enable improvement and to help ensure a high quality of student experience. Formal complaints are reported annually to the College’s accrediting bodies.

The purpose of this policy and process is to ensure that students may lodge complaints in a nonthreatening manner, free from retaliation.

Types of Complaints

There are two types of complaints:

  1. Academic complaints (could include course content, faculty interactions, library services, academic student support, etc.) which are managed though the Office of Academic Affairs,
  2. Non-academic complaints (could include facilities, admissions, financial aid, academic advising and registration, student services, residence life, etc.) which are managed through the Student Affairs Office by the Dean of Students.

Complaint Resolution

Students may pursue either an informal resolution to their complaint or a formal resolution. Students are encouraged, but not required, to pursue an informal resolution to their complaint prior to filing a formal complaint with the College.

To File an Informal Complaint

To file an informal complaint, students should inform the faculty or staff person most directly involved with their concerns or that employee’s direct supervisor. The complaint may be made verbally or in writing.

Informal Complaint Resolution Process

The informal complaint process should include establishing the manner in which the student’s complaint will be addressed. If students do not feel that their complaint has been sufficiently rectified, they may file a formal complaint.

Students looking for guidance on engaging in the informal resolution of their complaint should consult with the Dean of Students, Associate Provost, or Student Advocate.

To File a Formal Complaint

Students dissatisfied with an Informal Complaint Resolution or who choose not to utilize that process can file a Formal Complaint using an online Student Complaint Form. Formal Complaints must be filed in writing through the Student Complaint Form found here. The form will prompt students to include their name, date and time of incident, contact information, and a detailed description of their complaint. While identifying information is not required to file a Formal Complaint, filing an anonymous complaint may limit the scope of investigation and resolution that the College can complete.

Formal Complaint Resolution Process

  1. Once a Student Complaint Form has been filed, the complainant will receive an email confirming receipt of the complaint.
  2. If additional information or follow up questions are required, the complainant will be notified and either a written response will be solicited or a meeting will be scheduled.
  3. Within 30 business days, the College will provide a written response. The response indicates if the complaint was “founded” or “unfounded”
    • A “founded” complaint is a complaint that the College’s investigation deems to require further action and resolution. Founded complaint responses will include how the College will address the complaint.
    • An “unfounded” complaint is a complaint that the College’s investigation deems not to require any further action to be taken. Notice of an unfounded complaint decision will conclude the investigation.
  4. If a response is not provided after 30 business days, the complainant will be notified that additional time is required. The notification will include an explanation for the delay in resolution.
  5. Appeal: An appeal must be filed in writing and must provide a detailed explanation of the basis for the appeal.
    • Students may appeal the findings to:
      • Academic Appeals should be directed to the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs.
      • Non-Academic Appeals should be directed to the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services.
      • The College will respond to an appeal within 10 business days of receipt of the appeal.

External Complaints

National Association of Schools of Art and Design

Procedures for expressing concerns related to the compliance with NASAD requirements can be found at:

Higher Learning Commission

Procedures for filing a complaint with HLC can be found at:

Department of Education

To file a complaint with the Department of Education and/or Office of Civil Rights, students should contact the Michigan Department of Education at:

Policy Contact

School 2nd Floor, Yamasaki Building Work Phone: 313.664.7879 Website: Student Affairs – CCS Website Website: Student Affairs – Blackboard
Categories: Student Affairs Office

August 24, 2018

September 3, 2019