Services include; orientation, immigration, and maintenance of immigration status. We further support our students with academic advising, health insurance enrollment, personal and cultural acclimation issues, formal letter requests, income tax information, social security numbers, Michigan driver’s license resources, and F (student) or J (exchange visitor) visa employment authorization.

General Questions:

Email: global@ccsdetroit.edu
Call: 313-664-7449

Review the International Student Handbook

2023 Handbook

Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS) Forms:

Update Personal Information
These forms are used to report changes in your information to the International Office for updating your record SEVIS (the Student and Exchange Visitor System). SEVIS is part of the government office of ICE ( Immigration and Customs Enforcement). It is important to update the international office in order to stay in legal status with your F or J Visa. Falling out of legal status has serious consequences.

You are required to report information to us within 10 days. You should also keep a personal record of all your information changes during your time as a student here.

Letter Request
Extension of Your Program of Study
Working on Campus
Curricular Practical Training Approval
Optional Practical Training Approval
Concurrent Enrollment at a Community College in Michigan
F-1 Student Departure
Change of Major
Change of Minor
Change of Concentration
Change of Academic Level
Request for Reduced Course Load
Changes in Funding or Finances
Severe Economic Hardship Request

Immigration Advising

International students are, ultimately, responsible for maintaining their immigration status. However, the GEO is here to help!

Please consult this useful presentation to refresh your knowledge regarding immigration regulations and how to successfully maintain your F or J student status. Download the presentation.

Review the Study in the States Website for important information about your F or J Visa. https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students

Helpful Information and Policies:

Bilingual Doctors
CCS Health Insurance
Driver’s License
International Student Health Insurance Waiver Form
OPT Timeline Overview
On Campus Employment
Social Security Card
Tax Information

Health Insurance Requirement for International Students and Exchange Visitors

All international students are required to carry the CCS health insurance. Each year you are automatically enrolled. Pick up your card in the Global Engagement Office each October. For questions about your insurance contact our office and/or the website at www.studentinsurance.com.

Income Taxes for International Students:

Taxes can be confusing and frustrating! However, they are a necessary and important issue with which we all must deal. Although we, at the GEO, are not tax professionals we are certainly able to help guide you if you have questions or concerns.

For information regarding international student tax liability look over the IRS website.

To file your taxes recommend using Sprintax to complete your return. visit www.sprintax.com

Income tax workshops in February & March each year will be announced.