International students are eligible to take advantage of on-campus employment opportunities. On-campus employment does not require a special work authorization, and does not need to appear on your I-20. Unlike off-campus employment:
- You do not need special permission
- The work does not need to relate to your field of study
- There is no waiting period, and you may begin working on-campus as soon as you arrive at CCS
On-campus employment criteria
- Employment cannot exceed 20 hours per week
- On-campus employment must be performed on-campus, and must be paid by CCS
- You may not work past your program end-date
- Examples of qualifying on-campus employment options: academic departments, academic support offices, library, shops, computer labs, bookstore
- Teaching and Facilities positions do not qualify for on-campus employment
*** Canadian border-commuter students are not eligible for on-campus employment.
On-campus positions are posted on the Financial Aid section of Black Board.
The only off-campus employment for which international students are eligible, generally, is Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). The ISSO hosts two OPT and two CPT workshops each Fall and Winter semester. For more information regarding CPT and OPT, please consult the CPT and OPT documents on the ISSO Black Board page, under “Forms.” The most common type of OPT takes place after graduation. If you receive a job or internship offer which you believe may be eligible for CPT, schedule an appointment at the ISSO as soon as possible. CPT and OPT approvals can be lengthy processes, involving approvals from multiple departments and offices.