Regulations governing colleges that participate in the Federal Title IV Student Aid Programs, require that faculty provide the last date of attendance for students who never attend, who stop attending at some point during the semester, or who receive a grade of “F” or “WF” in the course.
Grade of F = failing
Grade of WF = failing, and stopped attending course without an official withdrawal
Why is Last Date of Attendance important?
The last date of attendance information must be collected and used for the following processes in the Financial Aid Office:
- Recalculating Pell Grant awards
- Calculating how much aid should be returned to the Federal programs
- Determining official and unofficial withdrawals
Aid eligibility, even after aid is already disbursed, isn’t earned until a student establishes enrollment in their classes. Financial aid recipients who fail to attend or who stop attending may be subject to a reduction or cancellation of financial aid funds already disbursed. The student’s aid package, enrollment level and attendance all help determine whether aid must be repaid and how much.
How do I determine Last Date of Attendance?
Examples of College for Creative Studies academic-related activities include but are not limited to physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students, such as:
- Exams or quizzes
- Computer-assisted instruction
- Completion of an academic assignment, paper or project
- Participating in online discussion about academic matters
- Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject in the course
Regulations exclude the following:
- Simply logging into computer-assisted instruction services such as Canvas
- Student’s self-certification of attendance that is not supported by school documentation
- Living in the ACB or Taubman Center Housing as a College for Creative Studies student
- Participating in academic counseling or advising
How do I know if a student officially dropped the course?
Dropped students no longer appear in your Canvas course.
How do I report the Last Date of Attendance?
In the “Send Grades to AARO” module, select midterm or final for grade input and select the “Last Attended Date” column. Enter the last date for any student with an “F” or “WF” grade.
What if a student never attended?Please check the “Never Attended” box for students who did not drop the course, but have not attended.