Policy Table of Contents
Interlibrary loan supports the mission of the College for Creative Studies Library. CCS Library provides interlibrary loan services for CCS faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students who are in good standing with the Library, enabling them to request books, DVDs, and copies of journal articles either not available in the Library’s collection, on loan, or officially declared missing.
CCS Library adheres to the guidelines of the American Library Association’s Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States (2008) and the guidelines for international lending. CCS Library complies with all provisions of the U.S. copyright law.
Policies for Borrowing Materials Not in CCS Libraries
The following applies to currently registered students, as well as current CCS faculty and staff members.
- CCS Library will place requests for physical materials for all students and faculty who are able to pick up and return ILL materials on campus.
- Distance education students and faculty at CCS are welcome to participate in electronic document delivery. We are unable to provide physical materials owned by other libraries to distance education students and faculty via ILL due to limitations in our reciprocal agreements with our lending partners.
- A loan or a copy of any material may be requested from another library in accordance with the published lending policy of that library. The lending library decides in each case whether a particular item can be provided and determines the length and conditions of loans.
- CCS students, faculty, and staff must request interlibrary loan items using the form listed on the CCS Library website. Telephone, email, or chat requests will not be accepted.
- CCS Library does not normally process the following interlibrary loan requests:
- Requests that are incomplete
- Requests that are not in accordance with copyright law
- Requests for bound or single issues of periodicals
- Requests for newspapers in print format
- Requests for reference books and rare materials
- Requests for ebooks
- Request for high-demand items (e.g. textbooks, newly published items, and best sellers)
- Requests for computer software
- Requests for genealogical research materials.
- All borrowers of physical interlibrary loan materials are responsible for promptly returning loaned items to CCS Library. Overdue ILL materials are subject to a $1/day fine. All patrons who have had overdue items more than three times and have not contacted CCS’s interlibrary loan will have their CCS ILL borrowing privileges suspended.
- Renewal of interlibrary loan materials is permitted at the discretion of the lending library. Renewals should be directed to the CCS Library staff via the request form at least four days prior to the due date. Renewals may not be requested for overdue materials. The length of the renewal period is determined by the lending library.
- Borrowers are responsible for the replacement of lost or damaged materials at a charge determined by the lending library. Failure to pay any charges will result in suspension of interlibrary loan borrowing privileges. Fines are paid much like normal Library fines, and will appear in the patron’s CCS Library account.
- Requested materials may be picked up at the Library’s Circulation Desk. Most articles are delivered electronically and are accessed via Article Exchange. Article Exchange provides a single secure location where lending libraries can place requested articles for interlibrary loan. Only authorized users will be able to download the file.
- All material on loan is subject to immediate recall if requested by the lending library. Patrons will then have 24 hours to return the items. Failure to abide by this rule can jeopardize our ability to borrow from these institutions in the future.
Overdue and Replacement Policy
Due dates for individual physical items are determined by the lending library. Email reminders and notices are sent as a courtesy. Failure to receive a notice does not exempt borrowers from processing, replacement, or damage fees. It is a patron’s responsibility to return items on time!
- First notice: Patrons will receive a notice from Koha (the CCS Library’s catalog system) via email that their due date is approaching two (2) days before the due date.
- Second notice: Two days after the due date, patrons with overdue ILL items will lose their ILL and borrowing privileges until each item is returned in good condition. The fine of $1/day will begin to accrue.
- Third notice: 28 days after the item(s) was due, ILL materials are officially declared lost. All patrons will be responsible for replacement costs. The charge for a lost interlibrary loan item is determined by the lending library. Many libraries will accept a replacement copy (if available), often with a small processing fee. Others will send an invoice, which can vary greatly, usually between $75 and $150. If you lose an interlibrary loan item, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org to avoid losing privileges. We will contact the lending library to see what the options are and provide you with direction.
Note, CCS Library tracks occurrences of overdue items. Repeat offenses that require staff to issue second notices on three or more occasions will result in the permanent revocation of interlibrary loan borrowing privileges until items are returned or replaced.
- A notice of status change will be sent.
- Only requests for articles or scans will be processed.
Blocked ILL users who can no longer borrow items must meet with the Technical Services Librarian or Library Director to negotiate a return to their original status. This change will require:
- The return of all overdue materials and;
- The payment of all outstanding fees and fines; and
- Review of the ILL policies is performed
Repeated incidents causing suspension of service may result in permanent loss of privileges.