Once the President has authorized a search, the Department Chair develops a job description in consultation with the appropriate Dean. The Provost approves the job description. The Provost, in consultation with the relevant Dean and department Chair and the Director of Human Resources, appoints a search committee. In addition to the appropriate Dean, members of the search committee include, at a minimum, the following:
- Department Chair
- Full-time department faculty member
- Student department representative (non-voting)
The search committee is responsible for the following:
- Reviewing the job description for the position
- Identifying effective vehicles for advertising the position
- Identifying potential candidates
- Evaluating applications
- Agreeing upon a set of specific interview questions to be asked of each candidate.
- Conducting pre-interviews using telecommunications means to select finalists
- Interviewing finalist candidates on campus
- Attending a lesson or lecture delivered by the candidates before a group of faculty and students
- Recommending to the Provost one or more candidates for the position
The Provost may accept or reject the search committee’s recommendation. When an acceptable candidate is identified, the Provost recommends the appointment of the candidate, the length of the appointment, and the candidate’s rank and compensation to the President. The President may interview the candidate. When the President approves the candidate’s selection, the Provost or appropriate Dean, as determined by the Provost, discusses with the candidate the terms of employment. When all terms are agreed upon, the President sends the letter of appointment.