The Committee conducts reappointment reviews of full-time faculty members according to the following schedule:
- For faculty on one-year contracts, in the winter semester after completion of the departmental annual review process, with recommendations being submitted by March 1.
- For faculty on two-year contracts, in the fall semester of the second year of the contract, with recommendations being submitted by December 1.
- For faculty on three-year contracts, in the spring semester of the second year of the contract, following completion of the departmental annual review process, with recommendations being submitted by June 1.
The Committee will base its considerations upon the contents of the faculty member’s “faculty file,” maintained in the Office of the Provost. Among the items included in the file are:
- The “Summary and Response for Continuous Improvement” (or, for Department Chairs, the Department Chair Self Assessment Form” and any faculty review of the Chair that has occurred).
- The “Summary and Response for Continuous Improvement” (or “Department Chair Annual Report”) written by the faculty member which includes information about:
- Teaching performance/departmental activities including courses taught, initiating new courses, hanging shows, serving on departmental committees, team projects, interviews, independent studies, student mentoring and advising duties.
- Professional/creative work including exhibitions, commissions, publications, lectures, consultations, workshops
- Service to the College, other than departmental activities, including membership on and substantial attendance at standing and ad hoc Committees of the faculty or College, release time duties, recruitment, arranging events, shows, etc.
- Professionally related external activities, including jurying/ judging, donated professional services, working with other institutions, serving on grant panels, workshops.
- The faculty member’s professional résumé/vita and a yearly update as necessary (with appropriate documentation).
- Other documentation relating to the faculty member’s performance.
The Committee may review student evaluations from courses taught by the faculty member as well as any other pertinent evaluative materials. If the Committee desires clarification on any of the items in the file, it may request interviews with the faculty member, Department Chair or appropriate Dean.
On reappointment reviews, the Committee recommends either reappointment or non- reappointment and provides its assessment of the quality of the faculty member’s performance.
On advancement in rank reviews, the Committee recommends one of the following:
- Advancement to the next rank.
- No advancement.
In the event the Committee cannot reach a decision, the Committee reports “no recommendation.”
The recommendation of the Faculty Review Committee may be appealed to the Faculty Concerns Committee within thirty days of notification. Such appeals will be reviewed according to the guidelines of the Faculty Concerns Committee.