- Log in to Blackboard.
- Create or Edit the Discussion Forum.
- Select the Discussion Board where you want to create a Forum, and the Create Forum option appears.
- Type a name and optional instructions or a description. On the main Discussion Board page, the description appears after the Forum name.
- The Forum description appears when students create a Thread and when they encounter a Thread with the Post-First setting. Forum descriptions are often used as prompts and are visible where students post.
- In the Forum Availability section, select “Yes.” You can create Forums ahead of time and set the availability to Not until you want the discussion to start.
- Select the “Display After” and “Display Until” checkboxes to enable the date and time selections. Display restrictions affect when the Forum appears.
- Select the Forum Settings based on your specific needs.
- Select “Participants must create a thread to view other threads in this Forum,” which is the Post-First setting. (Figure 1) Students must respond before they can read their classmates’ posts. In Standard View, everyone can see all previously created Threads in the Forum.
- Click “Save.”
Adapted from Blackboard